Archinect
anchor

UCLA housing questions

jumpy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the housing situation is like at UCLA. I'm considering the school am still unsure. I'm married and will be a grad student. I also have two rottweilers so finding a house is a must. I live in Kentucky so I'm not sure what to expect. Any thoughts are tips will be great. Thanks

Jul 5, 05 9:23 am
citizen

UCLA has some nice grad student housing. I don't know how expensive it is, nor if they allow pets.

The housing situation in Los Angeles, as you might have heard, is incredibly tight (read: expensive). The westside, where UCLA is, is the most outrageous. Though I haven't looked, I can't imagine renting even a tiny house for less than two grand a month; probaby much more.

Other areas of the city/county are less shockingly expensive than the westside, but still pricey compared to other areas of the country. I'd check out UCLA's website, and www.westsiderentals.com for info.

Jul 5, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
JK664

what about on campus apts.? are they that expensive also?

Jul 5, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Let me post from experience
UCLA has no campus housing per se. The housing that the college offers near campus is the Undergrad housing. Then there are frat houses, sororities, a co-op etc

As for grad housing, there is a rather small apartment complex near the school, just across the road from the in-and-out, if you know where that is. I have not known many architecture students living there, and i have never seen pets there too.
There is another grad student housing in the Palms area, which is also very nice, but again, i dont know about architecture students living there. And i suggest, if you will go to Palms, it might be better and cheaper to just find independent rentals there. Again, westside rentals and craisglist.org are good sources to start with

Jul 5, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

look in the Palms, Mar Vista, and Culver City areas. These are all cheaper than renting in Westwood, and aren't too far away.

Jul 5, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
TG

i'm pretty sure the dogs will keep you out of UCLA housing, and will certainly narrow the field of private rentals as well. But there are plenty of places near and far, and prices are all over the map, so do your homework. Close to campus, you probably won't find too many houses to rent, but Venice is full of them, so that might be another place to look.

When i came last year, i used Craigs list and the UCLA housing site. these are both free, while westside rentals is around $60.

Jul 5, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

is there a rush on the apartments at certain month due to school?

i plan on getting one in september.. is that dumb?

UCLA starts at end of that month..

Jul 5, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: