Archinect
anchor

the ladies call me 'deep impact'

heterarch

FYI, deep impact starts the 4th off proper like tonight at 1052 pacific time... should be amazing. wrap your mind around a piece of humanity hurtling through boundless space at an unbelievable velocity in order to careen in to an extraterrestrial body the size of manhattan flying through space at an equally unbelievable speed. imagine it spatially, as an architect if you will.. :) wow.

check http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html for near real-time images from space as it approaces tempel 1.

Jul 3, 05 10:18 pm
liberty bell

heterarchy, I always knew that about you....;-)

And yeah, those nasa rendered images are really cool.

Jul 4, 05 12:08 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

ha. :) yeah, sorry about the title, but it was just too funny and too obvious to pass up. :)
only an hour left. i'm such a geek for staying up to watch this... i can't imagine what the atmosphere must be like at nasa right now. probably a lot like the night before your final presentation in studio i guess.
my viewer's not showing anything useful at the moment, hopefully it clears up.

Jul 4, 05 12:57 am  · 
 · 
heterarch
Jul 4, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

shoot. oh well.

Jul 4, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeez, only 16 minutes left - I might as well stay up. Gotta let the dog out first and check back....

Jul 4, 05 1:36 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OH MY GOD!! I just let the dog out to the backyard and looked up at the sky and saw this enormous explosion and scattered debris!!! I SAW DEEP IMPACT!!!!

......kidding.......

Jul 4, 05 1:40 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

he he. yeah, i'm watching it, but either i'm having technical difficulties or it's behind schedule... the image is getting pretty close, but it should have hit 10 minutes ago. unless i've got my time zones mixed up... 1052 pacific.. nope, i'm right. what's up? did an alien ship fly in front of the lens and so they're waiting till they've doctored the photos before they post them? wtf?

Jul 4, 05 2:08 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

CNN showed some images - but they just ended their live coverage. Makes me teary-eyed to see a roomful of NASA engineers (actually at JPL) cheering and hugging and whooping it up when they got the news that the impact occurred exactly as planned.

Jul 4, 05 2:11 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

i missed it on tv. i've only been watching it online, which is seemingly worthless. i'm going to bed. i'll see the results tomorrow i guess. at least i got some work done staying up late...

Jul 4, 05 2:23 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

nasa could have paid me 330 million dollars and i would've came up with the same shitty images in photoshop. what a waste. 330 million dollars could have helped a cause for something a little more imediate and important, does one think? i've always been a skepticist. . .

Jul 4, 05 3:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hetarchy, your nickname didnt result in ms. strawbeary's "wow" post by any chance did it?

Jul 4, 05 7:35 am  · 
 · 
stainB
http://mosnews.com/news/2005/07/04/astroaction.shtml

Russian Astrologist Sues NASA Over Deep Impact Comet Crash

Jul 4, 05 10:42 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

dozer: in the scope of governmental spending 330 million is a drop in the pan. consider these numbers: 401.7 billion (defense), 16.2 billion (NASA), 297 million (homeland security funds alotted to the dept of veterans affairs)... 10 million (roll of toilet paper:)...
i'd say the mission was worth every penny. and since so many people, like you, are so critical of nasa, they've become one of the most efficient government agencies we've got, in terms of stretching their money. if the dept of defense had conducted this mission, it would have cost 3 billion, most of it would have gone to offshore accounts of friends of the administration, and the thing would never had worked. i'd prefer to crticize the enormous amounts of money being spent to fund a war in iraq that we should have never engaged in (over 100 billion now-think about how much good THAT could have done). but i probably shouldn't bring that up, because it's far too tangential to this thread.

anyway, as far as strawberry's wow post, i'm pretty sure i didn't have anything to do with it.. i'm not sure how i would have.

as for the astrologist.. whoa. how does nasa respond to that? i didn't even realize that comets were any part of astrology, i thought it was just the major solar bodies.

Jul 4, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
tyrrhena

Is NASA's budget actually part of that of DOD? no?

I think NASA is doing an incredible job these days. People have a strong sense of urgency to make things happen: like going back to the Moon, sending more probes to Mars, going to Mercury for the first time...for the sub-group of scientists I personally interact with that's a group of people I personally admire tremendously for their devotion.

I was just debating with a space-physics friend who was saying that physicsts are making discoveries, whereas NASA planetary scientists are more at the stage of exploration right now. In a sense that's true, we humans can now look at extraterrestrial bodies for the first time at a scale comparable to our own planet, and infer their evolution and history. But I also think (and there's evidence) we're making enormous discoveries as well. In terms of making their work known to the general public NASA is doing a great job.

Jul 4, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

apollo doesn't like it.
i wonder how strategic planning it was to line up the big bang jr., with july 4 th. fireworks. check out the lingo.
NASA quote;
07.04.05 - After 172 days and 431 million kilometers (268 million miles) of deep space stalking, Deep Impact successfully reached out and touched comet Tempel 1.

Jul 4, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
tyrrhena

dear abracadabra, I don't exactly know about the technology/physics behind the lining up, but it seems to be relatively routine. Several years ago, Johns Hopkins built a spaceship to orbit this asteroid called 'Eros', and they planned it in such a way that the spacecraft went into orbit on Valentine's day :)
I found this from the Deep Impact home page about the targeting and navigation.

Jul 4, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

man that was so cool to watch all those NASA geeks get all excited about crashing metal into a rock...wow I am so glad we used tax dollars to make possible such a success. we will definitely be better people because of it!

Jul 4, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: