Archinect
anchor

Architecture/Pop Culture Indulgences

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I'm curious if anyone out there has read The Rule of Four and/or seen War of The Worlds????

Four is of course about the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (which the novel attributes to Francesco Colonna, and which Liane LeFaivre claims is the work of none other than Leon Battista Alberti).

And War is if anything, an indictment on the built environment. Aliens taking the modernist programme to an extreme and razing our cities. Keeping this movie in mind, I wonder if surveyors and others, when engaged in city-building, said to themselves, "Hey, man, there's, like, this alien looking thing under our city, and we are going to have to build our subway lines around it."

To which his or her superior would say, "I don't know. Can't we just build around it or something?"

Or perhaps, "Those aliens are tearing us a new Brasilia or Chandigarh!!!"

So, are there any other popular (mis)conceptions about cities and urbanism that people are totally burying their noses into or gluing their eyes to? (no references to The Fountainhead, please).

Just wondering.

Jul 2, 05 2:41 pm
vado retro

ah i think war of the worlds was an indictment of colonialism by mr. hg wells.

Jul 2, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I think you can find architecture references wherever you want to find them. Perhaps these conceptions (mis- or not) come from our(architects) own view of the world? i.e. You see War of the Worlds as an indictment of the build world because in some small part you're already thinking about it.

and yes, I've read Rule of Four though I thought the subject matter was more interesting than the book.

Jul 2, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

That book is on my list. And the movie was interesting. I think there was a lot of really smart, tiny little things going on behind the scenes that all the namby-pamby, "Find your center, Rachel," "You've got to let me go, dad," crap ruined.

Though, what of the red fungus that was shown most prevelantly being propigated and grown across the landscape of the countryside, fertilized with blood of well-dressed business men?

Jul 3, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: