Archinect
anchor

lost in translation

dragonfly

so, here is my quandry the long of the short of it at least. i could really use some real help here, advice, pointers, you name it--basically new graduate with beyond entry level experience trying to land a good job. help! (please).....the long version follows:

i recently went back to school for a A.A. certificate in interior design. i graduated a couple weeks ago(but finished my program in the fall)i have a substantial background in working within different areas of retail doing visual merchandising, space planning, fixture mapping, prototyping, some fixture/furniture design, graphic design and a ton more. i went back to school because, i have always wanted to design, it is where my passion lies and lets be honest here, retail can only take you so far. i mean, i did space plans when i was in elementary school of what i wanted my room remodel to look like. (hehe, true though)

i want to make a cross-over into a design or architectural firm. i have a lot of talent. i know auto-cad, photoshop, illustrator(basics), quark. while in school, i focused my work around green design, something the school had very little resources for, which was fine with me, i am a self-starter.

i first interviewed with a few firms, then i wanted to try my luck with retailers, because i felt that my specialty for so long was within retail, why not be in store design to further accentuate my knowledge? i have been disappointed with the positions that i have been offered, not enough creativity, too many positions that have no real room for growth potential or advancement. i dont just want to take something because it is something, i want to try to find the right fit for both me and the company. i am a loyal hardworking employee, who doesnt like to shift jobs every 6 months. but i guess that is a question i am posing to all of you--is that something i should get used to? job hopping?

also--i feel like i am at a crossroad--how do i put to use all my experience in retail and other industries to translate into an interior designer?

there are a few firms--that i want to work for, i have no idea how to express to them that i am just as qualified, if not more because of my work experience, as any individual that applies there. however, because of the fact that my interior design degree is not from a big big university, though it was a FIDER accredited program, i feel like i am overlooked. i need advice on how to approach these firms--in order to even have them give me the time of day to at least show my work. there was recently a design showcase, one of my designs was displayed at a showroom, there was a lot of positive feedback. as far as the school i just finished my degree from, the career center offers only entry level positions--and i have been repeated told that i am overqualified for those. not to mention, there is no way that i can live off those wages, i owe a maybeck in loans.

if you cant tell by reading this post--im stressed. i want to find a good job, it doesnt have to be the perfect job because it will be the first one i will work within design. i have certain goals i do not want to hinder from--green design practice, potential for growth, with an ounce of faith that i may not be the most computer savvy designer, yet, in time, with continued use and practice, i will be just like everyone else in speed. how do i convince these firms to take a risk on me?

thanks in advance for your help and advice, sorry if this was a long one.

Jul 1, 05 6:52 pm
liberty bell

dragonfly - It sounds like your biggest challenge is getting in the door and meeting face to face with the people you want to work for. If your portfolio is really good, and you can talk about all your experience in the interview, it seems you could concinve a firm that they aren't taking a risk on you at all - that you are an employee who can hit the ground running. So it may mean calling and talking to people and bugging them enough to make them agree to meet you face to face.

And yes, resign youself that it is very likely that you may job hop a bit at first - but it's all networking, which is valuable in other ways.

Jul 1, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You might actually be interested in working at my firm, and I'm pretty sure they would be interested in hiring you, as we are swamped. Depends on where you want to go I guess. PM me for details.

Jul 2, 05 2:01 am  · 
 · 
dragonfly

thank you both for your responses

Jul 5, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

...yes, this is a great movie

Jul 5, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: