Archinect
anchor

LONDON - What not to miss?

ap

What's to see in London in a weekend these days?

Any new/old cool projects/restaurants/exhibitions not to miss?

I can only think of the Herzog/ de Meuron @ Tate and the Gerkin tower....

ap

Jul 1, 05 7:59 am
johndevlin

are you into old things? Try Sir John Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields.-
bizarre, weird, upsetting, incredible...

Jul 1, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Foster's City Hall is worth a photo op. Strolling along that portion of the Thames is fantastic, there's a great design museum down there somewhere too, in a white modernist building, I'd recommend that as well.

Jul 1, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
dyske

H&M's Laban dance center near greenwich

subway stations along the millenium line

Jul 1, 05 9:12 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Cedric Price: Doubt, Delight and Change
Design Museum, 28 Butlers Wharf, Shad Thames, SE1 (0870 833 9955/www.designmuseum.org). London Bridge/Tower Hill tube. Daily 10am-5.45pm (last adm 5.15pm), Friday until 9pm (last adm 8.30pm). £6, concs £4, family ticket £16, under-12s free. Date June 25-Oct 9.

Opening on Saturday at the Design Museum is the retrospective of a Staffordshire-born architect who became one of the late twentieth-century’s most influential architects, despite the fact that relatively few of his designs were ever built. Cedric Price: Doubt, Delight and Change traces the life and work of the Cambridge graduate whose revolutionary designs will be familiar to Londoners. Price’s first major work was the aviary at London Zoo but other, unbuilt, works include the Fun Palace, a travelling entertainment centre that is thought to have influenced the design of Paris’s Pompidou Centre. Price was a big fan of cities, and in the 1980s one of the radical proposals in his South Bank project was ‘The Thing’, a structure – a precursor to the London Eye – enabling people to view the city from cabins suspended up high.

Jul 1, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
aeaa

there are also several markets which are worth chekcing out. Spitalfields is great - some young deisngers, lots of decent food and the east end has turned into quite a vibrant community compared to what it was 5 years ago. Spitalfields is also right next to what I beleive is a hawksmoore (spelling??) church which was renovaed not too long ago. Also within walking distance of the gerkin and lloyds of london.
There is another Market which is great as well, food only, down near the design museum/butlers warf area and for some reason I want to call it burrough hall but that just doesn't seem correct. Someone who actually lives there or has been there more recntly would know best. But the food and atmosphere is also great. Good starting point if you are going to the design museum, up the thames past some foster stuff and into tate modern.

Jul 1, 05 9:41 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

Nicholas Hawksmoor 1661-1736:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Hawksmoor

Jul 1, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
ap

thanks for the info.

oh, and the serpentine by Siza/balmond of course...

Jul 1, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

The V & A has an architecture exhibit up: AJ Corus 40 Under 40. There is also the Stirling Prize exhibit at the V & A.

Jul 1, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
atowle

I'll second the Cedric Price exhibition, small but brillaint . . . and the 40 under 40

Jul 5, 05 6:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: