Archinect
anchor

A different view on the Tower

EcoArchSefa

It seems like a lot of you are solely concerned about the outer appearance of the Freedom Tower. No one has alluded to its inner purpose. The magnitude of the project was undoubtedly overwhelming, hence i believe the design had to be almost "neutral"..all i'm saying is, perhaps the program works, If the ameneties stated in the quote below works then i believe Chris didnt totally fail!

"The revised Freedom Tower builds upon the original's extraordinary level of life safety features and will include other features that will make it unprecedented in terms of life safety and security. In addition, the Freedom Tower will further its distinction as a world-class model of energy efficiency and environmental sustainability".

Jun 30, 05 11:55 am
matteo

this tower looks like a glass paperweight my grandpa used to have on his desk. it was representing some obelisk somewhere in north africa.

since i won't go inside this tower, because there is no need to. i care about the external appearence and i miss the original liebskind's project.

Jun 30, 05 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

blueprintt, it's an office building. it's not very tough to get the program of an office building to work. open floor plan, check. elevators, check. stairs, check. bathrooms, oh shit we forgot the bathrooms. DAVID! DAVID, WE FORGOT THE BATHROOMS!

Jun 30, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

You know they're building buildings all over the country, skyscrapers even, that don't have 200 foot concrete bases. We don't worry about those being bombed. So when terrorists strike again, is it the consensus that this is going to be the building that's attacked? Looking at that other WTC post and the evolution of the project makes Libeskind's first proposal look like a masterpiece.

Jun 30, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

blueprint.
wouldnt part of the "program" for this specific site adn building be its public image? it is after all named the "freedom tower" and not just 365 W Fulton Street. so its program is how it looks.. and considering it has no tenants really.. thats probably the only program that can be evaluated.

Jun 30, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

darth foster has shown how to make spatial innovations that are programatic contributions to the inside of a building that can provide better quality of life for the occupants, gardens, terraces, voids, etc.

this was a chance to redefine the office tower type, its sad to see it is being faced only as bussine$$ floor area

Jun 30, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
e

agreed mau, far be it from som or silvey to think that way.

Jun 30, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
db

I think tenants are the issue -- if you've got tenants then you've got clients and a constituency -- without them, nothing. and frankly, this tower is nothing in that regard. no tenants (and NO tenets either). Build it and they will come won't work here. How about: they won't come, so let's build something else?

There is such opportunity here to redefine the role of the tall building as part of the urban fabric. Too bad no one is considering it.

Jun 30, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

boring...

i like the other thread better.

Jun 30, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
cf

me no work bullseye in, big, big.

please, reason number one care the world this you call Tower Freedom?

freedom you mean office cube, cold air neck on. funny people, you!

Jun 30, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

In fact, this project defines itself by its inattention to program. 2.5 million sqft of nothing in particular. Generic floor plates deferentiated only by the building's neutered exterior. The value or version of freedom this building espouses is a spiritless emotionless face masking the reality of a content-less vaccuous interior devoid of difference or expression held at arms length from imagined enemies. Is this what the USa means by freedom ?

Jun 30, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

right on thenewold.
as for programme, right on e and others.
as for the quote, i don't see how the new design could be more environmentally sustainable than danny's one which included (admittedly very difficult to engineer) wind turbines and gardens at the top of the building (instead of the most expensive, least "free"/public spaces in the entire building at the top).
if i were trying to 'sell' the new design, i wouldn't bring "environmental sustainability", nor would i point out that it is more life-safety conscious than the original world trade centers which obviously didn't do so well in that department. (didn't do terrible either, but when human lives are lost, no one will ever agree that it did enough)

Jul 1, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Does anyone know if safety regulations ahve changed? They must have, but I am wondering about specifics (just curious). The original WTC was made to withstand a direct impact from a 727. Anyone think they are making this to withstand an impact from a 777 or one of those monstrous Airbuses?

I find it amusing that they talk about the base, when the original bomb blast was from within the parking garage and then 911. Why are they even referencing people bombing the base? It smells like Iraq-Bush-power-money-conspiracy crap to me.

Jul 1, 05 12:58 am  · 
 · 
M+1

I don't care what's on the inside, I think it's a mundane intrusion on the NY skyline. That's what most people will be exposed to anyway. SOM sold out.

I hate the building so much I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Jul 1, 05 2:02 am  · 
 · 
upside

m+1 what, just a little?

can i paraphrase donald?

if this gets built then the u.s.s.r won the cold war.

this thing embodies all the paranoia, agressive monumenatalism and personality disorders of the worst stalinist monuments, in fact itd probably look alright with a big statue of lenin on top.

the orwelian vibe aint cool.

Jul 1, 05 4:43 am  · 
 · 
Kai

that would be a great idea for the t-shirt, take the lenin statue from Iofan's Palace of the Soviets, and photoshop it onto the new design

Jul 1, 05 5:38 am  · 
 · 
trace™

that would, I'd buy one....maybe put Bush on top

course some people would think that was 'cool'

Jul 1, 05 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
cyn

i just find it pretty amazing that we are building a tower that we already know will be attacked so we are already calculating the impact of a 777?????--are we nuts?

Jul 1, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: