Archinect
anchor

Science to Architecture?

tyrrhena

I found this website by accident and immediately liked it. Your insight will be greatly appreciated.

I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in planetary sciences (yes, water on Mars and stuff), but I'm considering going into architecture/interior design in a near future. It does sound like crazy, doesn't it? After all these years in grad school. It's just that i can't get the dream of having my own interior design firm someday in China (my home country) out of my head...

Is it possible to get into the master's program at a great architecture school in the US with little or no previous background in architecture? Sure, I love drawing/painting and I'm very good at math/physics/mechanics etc. But how can I convince the school (maybe even myself) it's not the most stupid idea in the world to let me in the door? Where can I start to prepare the application portfolio?

Jun 29, 05 10:59 pm
EcoArchSefa

yes yes..even with an architectural background and trying to gain admission into grad school. the big fuzz has thus far been about the Portfolio.

Jun 29, 05 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
tyrrhena

When the admission committee look at an applicant without previous background, will they use a different set of rules than with someone who's studied architecture before? (hopefully more merciful...)

Jun 29, 05 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

as i understand it the course is different. in my uni the students coming from a non architecture background did 1+ years pre-architecture coursework before being allowed into the main program. we did courses with them as well but they had a different setup, weren't in our studio and so on.

so yes i believe they judge differently, because they wouldn't be comparing you to archi undergrads. could be only my school did it this way...?

Jun 30, 05 8:06 am  · 
 · 
tyrrhena

Thank ya all for your replies.
I guess it sounds reasonable that a non-archi major spend 1+ years to catch up before they really start...

Jun 30, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you'll be looking at a 3-3.5 year M.Arch I program.

If you have no kind of art or design background, it'd be really helpful to take some basic courses on sketching/painting/etc. It'll help you build a decent portfolio. Aside from that you probably meet all the basic requirements for admissions. Check out any univ. website on their M.Arch I program.

Jun 30, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: