Archinect
anchor

Google Earth

thomsonn

ANyone checked out this new addition to google? apparently they purchased a us spy satelite and are developing the coolest 3d phone book/ mapquest ever. check it out...

Jun 29, 05 9:22 am
Jeremy

they bought the company Keyhole, which created the world-map interface.. the map info is all public domain satelite photos, but the software makes for a great way to browse the world. We have been using it at work for a while, and i got a copy for home.. it has a whole little culture going too - check out the BBS for keyhole/google earth.

Jun 29, 05 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

its the shit

Jun 30, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
driftwood
["...get an instant understanding of the surrounding terrain..."

An "instant understanging?" Give me a break. Yeah, it's a nice tool, but I think that's taking things a little too far.

Jul 1, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
JG

looks like the screenshots for Simcity 5. I wonder how it compares with NASA's Worldwind. Anyone try both?

Jul 1, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey yeah i was just about to send you that link. it looks a lot like keyhole actually.

Jul 1, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh...i see its been noted that they 'bought the company keyhole'

Jul 1, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

Here's a link to the install program -- http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/GoogleEarth.exe

They've actually taken the link off their site temporarily, as they're fiddling with it in beta, but the above link still works. It also installs for me fine, although I've heard some people unfortunately are having problems with it asking for a login.

It's definitely worth checking out -- I never tried the Keyhole program, but as far as I know NASA WorldWind doesn't have any feature of displaying 3d buildings, and this is one of the most useful features of Google Earth.

Jul 2, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

As a side topic. Check here how to integrate the GPS Tagging of Photos: Flickr, Mappr and Google Earth http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/07/how_to_gps_tag.html

Jul 4, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: