Archinect
anchor

3D studio, Form-z, or Maya?

bmyrum

I am familar with 3d studio and spent sometime learning the basics of FormZ. How should i go about learning them, which is better (ie. easier to get a jobwith)? Any thoughts on cheap ways of learning the programs?

Is REVIT worth going back and relearning?

Need advice on where to spend my non work time learning one or two modeling programs.

Jun 28, 05 3:15 pm
trace™

Learn Max well

FormZ is pretty common and is a great modeler

Forget Maya for architecture, unless you know the firm uses that exclusively (and besides the blobbers, I don't know of any)

I'd find out what the firms you want to work at are using before investing too much time with Revit. It may be worthwhile knowing the basics, but it also could be a waste of time. Arch Desktop and others are used, so I would just get a good udnerstanding of how they work.

Jun 28, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

I recommend REVIT or some other form of Building Informational Modeling. It wouldn't be a waste of time - because it's were the industry is headed. You'll be ahead of the curve.

Jun 28, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
1bookforme

Use Rhino for modeling, then render with Max or Maya.

Jun 28, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
1bookforme

If you know AutoCAD you can pick up on Rhino real quick.

Jun 28, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

Rhino is by far the easiest, most detail-oriented way to model. From Rhino you can put it into most other rendering and vector-based programs. It also take sfull advantage of cam and router routines, as well as 3d printing capabilities. If you think line by line, Rhino is perfect for you. If you think shapes and spaces/volume, you may want to stick with getting deeper into Max.The books they sell are very informative, and have helped a lot of people I know really gain an edge against the competition.

Jun 28, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Depending on the job:

-Form Z for modeling precise details, ect
-Max or Maya to render [or sometimes for a quick render with the need for postprocess AE effects I'll use Cinema 4d]
-Rhino is nice, but not for mac.

Jun 28, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

related note (kinda sorta):
Whats the closest thing to Rhino for Mac? I'm going to guess its FormZ, but is there anything else out there?
I love my mac, but rhino just seems to flow better for me and seems more intuitive - mainly because I first learned 3D in autocad back in highschool. Any recommendations?

Jun 28, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
skizzil26

FORM Z is just awesome, it has good precision and the rendering capabilities of renderzone and radiosity are really good.

Jun 28, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

Maya is the best program I have used for a number of different types of models and it is hard to beat on the rednering end however, it just isn't used much unless you end up in that kind of firm, see a previous post.

I have seen most firms using 3dstudio and VIZ (one in the same I think?) I ahve used VIZ some and it is nice, fairly intuitive as well.

I learned FormZ a few years back, I find that it is used often in firms as well however, the interface is so damn ghetto and the renderings, unless you are a pro, tend to turn out muddy........I hope it has improved some. If so, I am sure it is good as well.

Jun 28, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
skizzil26

Oh Your missin out aeaa its Improved alot, and the new version 6.0 will have a much easier and enhanced animation feature that will allow you to create animations just as quickly or quicker that Viz or Max

Jun 28, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

One thing to consider, esp with FormZ, is that Final Render and VRay will have standalone renderers for their next versions. This will allow you to skip Max/Viz for superb rendering. Still waiting for the details, but it looks really promising.
And now that FMZ has an open architecture, maybe they'll bring in some good plugins (although that's what they've been promising, just hasn't happened). The potential is huge if Autodessey would just get off their asses and realize that they could take the entire arch viz market (cheaper, easier, faster than Max/Viz, but not for rendering/animation) if they incorporated good animation and rendering.

Don't hold your breath, but it could be really good. This also applies to Rhino, too.

Jun 28, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: