Archinect
anchor

Grad School and Historic Preservation

morrigan

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a bit and have done searches (so don't stone me, please! I'm new!), but historic preservation seems like a rare topic on these boards. I was just wondering if anyone has ever gone for a certificate or dual program in M.Arch and historic preservation, and what is the job outlook for those with the certificate? If anyone has done the program, what have you gone on to do?

Jun 27, 05 8:13 pm
Babak

ooops ,,, seems really no one cares ,,, does it mean that Arch. preservation is something out of road, out-fashioned ??
anyway, i am interested in any answer !

Jun 28, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Babak

ooops ,,, seems really no one cares ,,, does it mean that historic preservation is something out of stream, out-fashioned ??
anyway, i am interested in any answer !

Jun 28, 05 8:46 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

haven't done a program and don't know anyone who has...but, i think that SCAD has a Preservation Program.

I know that Lord Aeck and Sargent in Atlanta has a Preservation Dept and they used to get grads from SCAD.

Jun 28, 05 9:35 am  · 
 · 

I took all but one of the classes for the CHP as an undergrad, and all I've done with it is community service type stuff. I plan on going back for that last class (they have a stupid rule about not granting you an undergrad and a grad degree at the same time), so if you're still around I'll let you know then. But mostly just wanted to let you know that someone else cares, but I'm still in the middle of it!

Jun 28, 05 10:17 am  · 
 · 
citizen

My sense is that many (not all, but many) on Archinect are far less interested in the old and traditional than in the new and edgy. It is an important subject, for cities and for architects. A lot of projects involve reuse of existing structures with nary a new building in sight.

USC has a master's program in HP, as well as a certificate one may do alongside an MArch, I believe.

Jun 28, 05 11:01 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

I have a Certificate in Historic Preservation from the University of Cincinnati. It was a nice bonus for having taken several additional history and studio courses throughout my 6 year professional degree program. I do not believe there is a degree track program specifically for HP at UC. look here for a great matrix regarding programs at other Universities:

http://www.uvm.edu/histpres/ncpe/chartgrad.html

There are archinect'ers who enjoy this topic of study and have done some HP work professionally and personally. I believe that this topic will become a stronger and more important part of U.S. Architecture the further NIMBY ideals push their way into Americans' forethought.

We need more professionals adequetly trained and throroughly interested in the topic in order to combat those who aren't. As architects it would behoove us to be the ones who grasp the problems facing HP in America and make the changes...because the future of Historic America lies in planning, organization and thoughtful design...ideals i think every architect can agree on. I wish you luck in your search for a program that suits your needs, Morrigan. There are more Architects who actively practice HP than you might imagine...it takes more work to find them however...they'll often be the first one to tell you they don't have a website;-)

Jun 28, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Well said, Faction. HP and what it means for architecture, cities, and society at large is critical to understand --not only preservation but reuse.

That matrix of HP programs and emphases is terrific and informative.

(One thing: NIMBY is nothing new. Such conflicts have been a large part of American thought and practice for centuries. The planning profession grew out of this very issue of individuals' property rights competing with larger community values.)

Jun 28, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Agreed, citizen. this is a fundamental in terms of individual property rights in a democratic society based on ownership. It will be interesting to see how the profession and communities fall back to listing properties on the National Register in order to combat the recent SCOTUS decision regarding the 5th Amendment and ED policy on the level of local government. I would hope that HP becomes a vibrant and well publicized method to revitalizing the cores of small towns and large cities alike...not to mention the outlying rural areas ripe for economic (read; unintelligent) development.

BTW, there was a very interesting article in the most recent issue of Preservation magazine regarding the development of Napa Valley as it responds to community demands, architectural novelty and design, traffic and economics...issues pertinent to every community but they are issues boiling over in that locale...if you are so interested, be sure to check it out.

Jun 28, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
psteiner

The School of the Art Institute of CHicago has a Masters of Science in Historical Preservation program...

link

Jun 28, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
joe

yes, in fact SCAD does have a HP program. bachelors and two masters(MA, MFA). I knew a guy who graduated last month that actually got masters in both. he is the only one I know of who has done it.
Overall I'd say savannah is a great place to learn HP. the setting is perfect for it, and the town has a large emphasis "keeping the old" so there is plenty of opportunity within the community. Its a tiny program though. I guess that is good. they are int he same building as us (Arch) and the Int. D. they only have a couple classrooms, and I never really see the people.

Jun 28, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
morrigan

Thanks for the responses guys... I'm particularly interested in programs that offer the M.Arch and a certificate or dual degree (I'm an English major in my junior year of undergrad and figure that going to grad school for arch is easier than starting ALL over).

I've heard (or read, on archinect :) that UVa is a good one for that... And Columbia... Anyone have opinions on other grad schools or the ones just mentioned? I have another couple of years until I graduate, but I'm trying to prepare and narrow the list -- the earlier, the better!

Jun 29, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
morrigan

I should specify that I'm interested in programs that specifically offer M.Arch/HP for those with a previous degree. :)

Jun 29, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

USC lets you do a Masters in Historic Preservation, or a Masters of Architecture with a Certificate in Historic Preservation. It's got a great HP faculty, and is a lot of fun particularly if you are interested in preserving modern architecture. It definitely leans towards the california staples- modern, art deco, craftsman, so if you're into that stuff it's a great program. If not, go somewhere 'back east'.

Jun 29, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I think UT Austin has a good program as well ...

Jun 29, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

USC only offers the post-professional MArch-- in other words, to be admitted there, you'd need to have an undergraduate degree in architecture as well.

Morrigan, keep this in mind. You want a program with both HP AND a pre-professional MArch (at least 3 years to degree).

Jun 29, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
morrigan

Yep, got that covered citizen. :) I have a list going of schools that have both, but it's terribly small (not very many schools offer both unfortunately). Just wanted everyones opinion. I was also thinking about UT Austin. I have a friend who went there and she loved it (except she went for library science or something of that nature). I'm also thinking that I'd have to go somewhere back east because of the kinds of buildings I want to deal with (definately not modern California art deco style, I'm an old-fashioned kind of gal). Maybe UPenn?

Jun 29, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

citizen- your info is old. USC does both, has for several years. Morrigan- don't worry, they offer both the M.Arch I and M.Arch II now.

Jun 29, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
morrigan

rationalist, I just checked, and it says that you have to have a five year BArch to apply for the MArch. Or am I missing it, because I wouldn't mind going to USC (if I ever got accepted that is).

Jun 29, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Actually, the 3-year, first professional master's degree (available to anyone with a bachelor's in ANY field) is not available at USC. They do offer a "plus 2" master's for those with a 4-year BS/BA in architecture. It doesn't sound like Morrigan is in this category, though.

UCLA offers the 3-year March I, but not HP.

Jun 29, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Did you check through the architecture school website, or the university website? The architecture school is in the process of getting the website completely redesigned, and therefor has been VERY bad about updating their current one. Whatever company they hired to do the new one blows at meeting deadlines.

Follow this link:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/admissions/grad/#
click on "Graduate Programs" (on the left), then on "Architecture".

Also go to www.usc.edu then click on the "course catelog" link at the very bottom for all the different degree programs offered.

They're making a big push to expand both their M.Arch programs as well as the HP program, so admissions should be a little easier than usual right now.

Jun 29, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Not to beat a dead horse, but these two web pages make my case. There is no master's in architecture at USC for an undergrad majoring in English, as Morrigan is.

Jun 30, 05 12:06 am  · 
 · 

ah... it's a +2, not what I thought. Sorry. Forgive me for my ignorance. I could have sworn I met people who had random undergraduate degrees, but maybe they were MHP people, not MArch + CHP people. Apologies.

Jun 30, 05 12:10 am  · 
 · 
citizen

No apology needed, Rationalist. These details can be important, and things change over time. We're all here to keep each other on our toes :-)

Jun 30, 05 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: