Archinect
anchor

Masters in Europe VS. the US?

Lianne

I am finishing my Barch in the US and am starting to look for masters programs. I am interested in being able to work internationally and am not sure how licensing works. The biggest doubt is: should I do my masters in the US or in Europe, maybe Spain? Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks

Jun 27, 05 1:25 pm
ericMontross

go to school where you want to work

Jun 27, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

if you get your licence in europe you will have an easier time moving amongst the eu countries. it will be a small pain in the derriere to return to us cuz the architectuer world is perty protectionist.

still, if you can, absolutely go abroad and live in a different country for a few years. the rest takes care of itself.

Jun 28, 05 1:48 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

i've heard there's a new university opening in amsterdam that's drawing a lot of international academic talent. it's taught in english, which is helpful, though maybe unfortunate, and of course - it's in amsterdam. :) couldn't find anything on the web when i took a brief perusal though.

Jun 28, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

a quick comment about spain--having a professional architecture degree from a spanish university appears to make it a lot easier to acquire a visa once you get out into the workplace. while you'll still have to face similar challenges as other non-EU solicitants (like finding an employer who will contract you), you won't have to wait a year for the "homologacion del titulo" (degree recognition by the spanish government).

Jun 28, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

what about a US prof. degree or registration being valid in Spain?

Jul 11, 05 2:53 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

from what i understand regarding Spain:

in order to be hired as an architect by a firm, a contract has to be made between the employer and employee--in order for a contract to be valid (i.e. for the work permit/visa process) the applicant has to have a valid spanish architectural degree, or in the case of a foreigner, the homologized equivalent. to homologize a u.s. professional degree, it (and complete transcripts, etc.) must be compared against the current requirements/components of the spanish architectural degree, and then, if further coursework in spain is not necessary, the degree can be homologized....which unfortunately takes about a year.

as far as registration, i think only people with spanish licenses can sign off drawings for a project in spain...thus the need for local associate architects when american firms build there (but please correct me if i'm wrong).

Jul 11, 05 8:21 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

the homologizing ur tittle can take up to 3 years actually, and yes only people with spanish licenses can sign projects here at spain, but it doesnt matter how much time u will spend getting regularized cause u will be enjoying life so much that u will totally forget about thet, living in spain (mostly Madrid and Barcelona) is so much fun than (most) of an amercian city...try it first studying here, and then u will see if u want or not to stay...

by the way i work at Vicente Guallart architects and the office is pretty mixed (colombians, mexicans, dutchs, americans, italians, chinese, spanish, portuguese, germans, frenchs, argentinians) so, seems nationality at the end if ur good enough for something doesnt really matters....

also EMBT for example is full of an international crew

Jul 11, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
yenafar

is there any architecture school in Spain teaching in English ? what about France or Germany ?
i can only find international schools in Netherlands on the net ... ;(

Jul 11, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

Mariano-

Any info on architects practicing in the Canary Islands?

Jul 11, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

knowing what i know now, i wish i had studied a second language in undergrad and then headed abroad for the masters, so in my opinion go for it!

Jul 11, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
naya

Hi there.
I am an Architect, passed from india in 2005. I am presently working in india.

I am interested in persuing my furthure study at DOMUS ACADEMY, Milan, Italy..i want to now about the reputation of the institute. And specially the degree which i am planning to study for. I am planning to go for Urban Management and architectural design.

The other thing i am worried abt is the work scenario after i earn the degree.
How difficult / easy is it to get a work visa after i complete the course.

So guys please happy me in whatever ways you can..

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 07 6:44 am  · 
 · 
naya

Hi there.
I am an Architect, passed from india in 2005. I am presently working in india.

I am interested in persuing my furthure study at DOMUS ACADEMY, Milan, Italy..i want to now about the reputation of the institute. And specially the degree which i am planning to study for. I am planning to go for Urban Management and architectural design.

The other thing i am worried abt is the work scenario after i earn the degree.
How difficult / easy is it to get a work visa after i complete the course.

So guys please happy me in whatever ways you can..

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 07 6:45 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

hey what about me? i'm getting my masters in the US but want to work in europe when i'm done. probably germany, since i have contacts there, but we'll see. would working in europe prevent me from being able to get my american liscense? does european work count towards american IDP hours?

Jul 3, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
n_

Chase Dammtor - Yes, you can use international work hours for IDP. Although, they limit the amount of credits you can count during this time. I believe you can credit about 6 months (give or take) of work to a foreign based architect.

It is my understanding if you work for registered AIA architect in a foreign country, your IDP runs like normal if the registered AIA architect is your direct supervisor and signs off on all your hours.

Jul 3, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: