Archinect
anchor

NEW YORK | What places not to miss?

OK, I did Chicago a month ago for the first time and really appreciated the insight from archinecters. Tomorrow night, I'm off to NY for Hernan's PS1 viewing. Besides the typical stuff (Guggenheim, Empire State, Statue of Liberty), what places shouldn't I miss?

I'm particularly interested in both digital/making (SHoP, etc) and simple box supermodern.

Jun 26, 05 9:19 pm
Francisco David Boira

??? SHoP? I guess you can check out the meat packing district loft apt. building (15th and 11th AV)
also the temporary bridge they built on ground zero.

Asymptote's store for Carlos Miele in the Meat Packing district.

Also Richard Meier towers are quite nice on the west side Highway (Perry and west st)

Winka's always in construction buidling on Greenwich St.
Even little shops like the new ID NIKE store are pretty sweet.

PS: There's more interesting stuff that all these things...just go hang out all over the place and don't be so concerned about the digital/making...new york is a city that only by strolling through its neighborhoods is super fun and amazing.

Jun 26, 05 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

FDB... ya, I just wanted to know where some of these projects are that I've heard about, and be reminded of some that I've forgotten about. Are you going to be at the PS1 party on the 30th?

Jun 27, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 
bawmis

you can take the lewistsurmakilewis tour and do dinner at xing and dessert at fluff. theyre about a block apart on 9th ave between 52nd and 50th. not quite digital fabrication but itll amaze you what a few crafty interns can do

Jun 27, 05 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

No I am actually in LA (artcenter) for the summer.
Well be back in NYC at the end of summer.

Jun 27, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

FDB, are you studying at the art center?

Jun 27, 05 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

eat at
per se

Jun 28, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

er... moma
new bklyn museum -

Jun 28, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
batiment

there are a couple small cafes and shops that lewis tsurmaki lewis recenetly completed. find the addresses at www.ltlwork.net

also the comme des garcons store by future systems might be worth checking out.

and the diller scofidio brasserie in the bottom of seagrams.

Jun 28, 05 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

If you go to the brasserie, go in the evening and have a few drinks at the bar. There are better places to eat for that amount of money.

I've always wanted to put together a evening tour of architecturally interesting bars, etc. If it takes off, maybe this should be a discussion in and of itself, but I'll start it here.

These three have a common bathroom voyeur theme:
Brasserie, Diller & Scofidio
Bar 89, Don't know the designer
Glass, Thomas Leeser (there were also :bot and pod, but I believe they are now defunct)

Jun 28, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
kyll

in chinatown -an old speakeasy bar called double happiness. no sign outside. use intuition to find it. and your inner chi.

in the arts district, walk into this bldg: 526 W26th St. -and it houses about 30-40 art galleries in it. you'll be in shock before you leave. and theres a level that opens a window onto the (ahhem) HIGH LINE. you could walk on it if you so dare

vere else? OH- the asian film festival is this week. sick sick movies man- puts commercial big budget movies to shame. SHAME.

and get the Village voice- it has alot of cool spots in there that are anti-terrorist-err- i mean anti-tourist. no pun intended.

Jun 28, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

double happiness...featured in the movie 25th hour...
it's on the corner of mott and broome

the same people own a place on stanton..i can't remember
the name right now..but it's just west of allen on the north
side of the street...equally as hard to find since it's not labelled...

another bar that's not labelled is a bar on ave c near 3rd st (i believe)
it's marked only by a blue light over the door..but very cool place.

another bar i'd go to is dba on ave a and a bar i believe is called
the international bar...they serve really cheap drinks. ave a between
9th and 10th on the west side...or near there.

Jun 28, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I second the nomination of dba. they have a fantastic selection of whiskeys and beer. One of the few bars that really explores the intricacies of bourbons. Plus, it's a (relatively) diverse crowd.

Jun 28, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

FDB..."also the temporary bridge they built on ground zero."

thats not SHOP...thats the knockoff that was copied from the SHOP bridge that is over the highway/street which conects to battery city park

Jun 29, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

The bridge heading to the winter garden in ground zero is a knock off...the next one heading south on west highway is a SHoP bridge.
Here are some sample pics of the shop bridge:

Jun 30, 05 2:44 am  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

right...Nice pics...

Jun 30, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

china town

Jun 30, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I work not far from those bridges and I've been wondering which one did SHoP design for some time now.

Who designed the knock off?

I'm rather fond of both bridges.

Jun 30, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
joe

where exactly is the meatpacking distric?, I must have missed that on my trip.

Jun 30, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Def hit up all LTL's work. Porterhouse in Meat Packing Distr., Prada [eh - silicone material connections], Chelsea Market's kinda cool, the Cooper Hewitt has an exhibition with Testa's work on display, MoMA is nice, Skip the Folk Art Museum, Skip all of the UES, Skip all the UWS

Jul 1, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

Meatpacking is the area of Gansevoort to W15th/16th, and from about Hudson to 11th ave...its the area where all of the meat companies have their warehouses....great at night...kind of icky during the day!

Jul 1, 05 11:09 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

meat packing district is now just a very smelly playground for the wanna-be models and fashionistas of the city....not bad, but i personally miss all the trannys
way more interesting...
manhattan is very strange to walk around in anymore. it's kinda like one massive luxury boutique/condo landscape...
the outer boroughs are totally the places these days. brooklyn, of course, is the most hyped..but there's a lot of great places in queens and the bronx as well.
way less architecture, though.
i'm totally fascinated by jackson heights in queens. the most interesting, diverse collection of cultures in the world...very new york noir...including the elevated 7 line running overhead...

Jul 1, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

ohh, speaking of queens..you'll have to go to see the greg lynn church on the way to the flux factory to check out a show there..
greg lynn church definitely has some interesting lessons in it...

Jul 1, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Def go to Williamsburg too - San Fran of the 80s and the E Village of the early 90's - Bedford ave has some great spots to drink, drink and drink

Jul 1, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
traced

ps1, it opens this weekend

Jul 1, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
JG

If you have time and want to take a break from boring old architecture hop on the Q train to Coney Island. Defintily a sight, especially on hot summer days. Grab a Nathans dog and take a ride on the Cyclone (actually do the Cyclone prior to eating).

Jul 1, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: