Archinect
anchor

buying a new computer

domestic

What are the optium specs for a computer capable of handling 100+Mb CADorMAX drawings smoothly? i've never drawn files this big but its possible i might.

I'm looking at buying a Dell Precision 380
with

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 531, 3.00GHz, 1MB L2, 800MHz
2GB, 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, NECC (4 DIMMS

what do you think? yay or nay

Jun 25, 05 12:30 pm
trace™

You'll need 2 gigs of ram and I'd try to get a dual processor if you'll be doing a lot of rendering.

While I personally don't find a big difference between the 'pro' cards and the 'game' cards, I would get a pretty decent one.

That computer should be fine, but don't expect too much. Get something higher end, if you can.

Jun 26, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
G-bot

Everything is high end now. The race is over. The software can't meet the capabilities of the computers now. Moores law has reached a brick wall. YOur pretty safe with any purchase and if you throw a lot more money at it you will find only nano-second differences in performance.

That said: a Gig of ram has always been critical. Dual processors kick ass. But now, as I said above processors have kind of maxed out, the only way to improve performance is to get a dual processor or the new multi core chips - which can do multiple processes similtaneously.

Jun 26, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

Interesting point G-Bot. But I feel that software has become lazy and has pushed us to these machines. What spectrum used to manage with just 48k of ram is intriguing and telling!

Jun 27, 05 8:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

It's both, imo. Processors are fast enough now that you can use raytracing all the time, 5 years ago you only did it once and a while. But now there is GI and radiosity, which takes forever. The rting is fast, but the other calcs are extremely processor hungry.

One just keeps asking more of the other. As always, buy the best you can - you will notice the difference (I will only buy duals, now, for the rendering). This race will keep going indefinitely, as it ultimately benefits both hardware and software, making money for all computer companies (like I can't even install Norton Int Sec on my ancient machine, it'll just bring it to a halt).

Jun 27, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

are there many laptops w/dual processors? or is that a stupid question?

Jun 27, 05 10:16 am  · 
 · 
domestic

the top of line Dell notebook has an intel M (mobile) processor

heres an outline of its options and link to descript. of the M processor:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=CABSDT1&l=en&c=ca&s=bsd&kc=6W463&oc=OCPRSNM70_RBP_BSDEN

Jun 27, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

the top of line Dell notebook has an intel M (mobile) processor

heres an outline of its options and link to descript. of the M processor:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=CABSDT1&l=en&c=ca&s=bsd&kc=6W463&oc=OCPRSNM70_RBP_BSDEN

Jun 27, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: