Archinect
anchor

Becoming an Architect

aljonmondo

Hello there, my name is aljhon :]

I was just wondering if I could get some great advice from the Archinect community on how to become an architect and the ups and downs of becoming an architect.

Every since I was a kid, I've loved to draw random things and it wasn't until I was a teenager that I stumbled upon architecture. I didn't really know anything about the profession but that I wanted to be an architect. When I think I about it, it's kind of weird because I didn't know anything about it but I wanted to be associated with it. I didn't even know that architects designed buildings. Maybe, it was because the word  architect just sounded so beautiful, euphonious. 

As I learned more about it and saw buildings designed by people like Zaha Hadid, I looked more into the profession and this is what I've learned (from online discussion forums and Bob Borson - life of an architect)

- architects become architects because it is what they're supposed to do-- there's no other profession; they could have easily become the doctors that there parents wanted them to be, but no, they had to choose the road not much less travelled

- architects are broke, most of the time. It's hard to have a stable mid-to-high paying job and getting business is really difficult and competitive. it also depends highly on the state of the economy. architects are the worst hit during recessions. but compared to the jobs that the majority of the population in North America do (and the world), it's pretty damn good.

- architecture school is a lot of work and requires strict time management-- there is no room for procrastination, otherwise the closest thing to a bed you'll ever have is your drafting table/computer desk

- becoming a 'starchitect' is like becoming Britney Spears, going bald-headed-crazy-lady-on-your-car, then performing the biggest comeback in pop history-- in other words, you have more chances of having tea with the Queen, Will, Kate AND Obama

- every architect has to have great communication skills -- they have to sell their idea before someone else sells theirs. everyone has great ideas and everyone has plans to create futuristic utopian cities clad in glass and acrylic

- architects mostly follow the majority of the cliches that is given upon them -- wear all black geometric Rei Kawakubo outfits (I prefer Gareth Pugh), weird looking glasses, and silver hair (I don't mind looking like Anderson Cooper, I really don't)

Also, I wanted to ask about getting an education and your thoughts on it. I know about the 5 year program, the 4+2 program, and the 4+3+ program. I was looking into the 3rd one because I think I'd like to do a liberal arts degree or something before deciding to pursue a professional degree that will basically give me one direction in life. Also I think a liberal arts degree would really benefit any kind of graduate degree. Do you think that rushing away right into the 5 year program is the best way as to not waste time studying something that won't be directly connected to your job as an architect? Or will getting that diverse education and taking things slowly teach you the real skills required from an architect such as communication skills(ability to articulate opinions and ideas), conceptualizing on your ideas, having knowledge about world economics and the businesses that essentially pay for architecture?

But what are your thoughts now that you've become an architect? What were your thoughts when you were in my situation? Did you aspire for fame and fortune? Or did you just really want to design that one awe inspiring environment? What school did you go to? Which one do you think is the most beneficial? Is even pursuing architecture worth it? Or is it totally doomed for destruction, a redundant profession for the future? I don't know, maybe you might, that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

I am a 17 year old student living in Canada. I will be graduating high school this year and hope to possibly go to university next year or do some travelling (gap year and soul searching -- you know backpacking through Europe and what not with my friend and her ukulele) 

Sep 17, 11 3:35 am
Phantom123

Don't.

Sep 17, 11 4:53 am  · 
 · 
trace™

First question:  ask yourself why your folks wanted you to be a doctor (not specifically you)?  I can tell you it ain't because they want you to save the world and "help" people.

Second:  Ditto to PHANTOM

Third:  search the forum, plenty of answers to this, endless answers, really, will keep you busy for a week

Sep 17, 11 9:08 am  · 
 · 
ariana

same question i asked on my thread, considering becoming an architect

i got some great answers, so look there and plenty of others.

Sep 17, 11 11:40 am  · 
 · 

With that overview, you’re either a disgruntled architect trolling the forums or a 17 year old who is far to smart to pick this as a profession.

Sep 17, 11 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Lackey

I got a BA in Philosophy before I went into the M.Arch program.  Having that degree means I can always fall back to unemployment if architecture doesn't work out for me.

Sep 17, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

Architecture is a beautiful profession but a horribile career choice.

Sep 19, 11 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

Architecture is a beautiful profession but a horribile career choice.

Sep 19, 11 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
ariana

i keep on hearing that.

Sep 19, 11 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

When I was teenager, I wanted to be a pro basketball player.  I spent lots of time practicing.  Worked really hard at it.  My family supported me and my dream.  I went to lots of camps and spent a small fortune getting the best basketball training/education money could buy (even taking loans when necessary).

I'm a pretty good basketball player but because I'm under 6 feet tall (and as I get older) it looks doubtful that I'll ever make a career out of playing the game.  In fact, that dream is literally dead.  My point isn't that architecture is a sport like basketball or whatever but rather that one needs to reality check their dreams.  You are much more likely to become a successful basketball player if you are at least 6 feet and likewise, I would guess that you have a much better chance of becoming a successful architect if you have at least a 6 figure bank account, yo!

Sep 19, 11 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
aljonmondo

thanks, handsum cash money, yo, that was actually pretty helpful. 

Sep 19, 11 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen a number of major commissions go to recent graduates with "connections" (rich family's vacation house) or male models who forsake that career but capitalzie on their connections.

In other words, it's who you know and who you blow.

Sep 20, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

- architects mostly follow the majority of the cliches that is given upon them -- wear all black geometric Rei Kawakubo outfits (I prefer Gareth Pugh), weird looking glasses, and silver hair (I don't mind looking like Anderson Cooper, I really don't)

unfortunately most architects look and dress like Mr. Rogers:

Sep 20, 11 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
ariana

wonder if anyone's ever written a book about literally becoming a professional architect...

Sep 27, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: