Archinect
anchor

whatcha reading?

vado retro

whats on tv?

Oct 29, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Brian and Peter are farting to avoid getting chopped up by the fan above them.

Oct 29, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
zahand

the doors of perception-aldous huxley

Oct 29, 05 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Austen - Mansfield Park (I liked Pride and Prejudice)

Steven, I've never read any Vidal: Is Julian worth looking at?

Oct 29, 05 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

going through whatever i can find by christine boyer now. very interesting lady. definitley recommend her stuff.

Oct 29, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

Emma is the best

Oct 29, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

That's on the list too. Have you seen the movie of Pride and Prejudice, John? Or is it not out in the states yet?

Oct 29, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Owen Ulph's "The Fiddleback". Best piece of western writing I've happened across... i can't believe it, but it makes me think that Annie Proulx is derivative.

Oct 29, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

I saw an old BBC production of P & P back in 1979 or 80. excellent. the present movie is not supposed to be very good.

Oct 30, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

i'm reading this now:

'crumbling an avalanche of rubble dust-poignant
around your feet worships, an ignominuous altar
poison all-the-way-through-golem, your cement breath heart
the friends that can't hear can't hear
unrecognized change all slivers change you
if eyes could they would'
light pierced, the whitest light carries you away'

Oct 30, 05 4:32 am  · 
 · 

agfa8x:

so far i'm liking julian pretty well. when vidal writes novels he can't help but stamp them with his own politics and biases.

this one was written in '63/'64 and, despite the fact that it IS really julian's life story in that it hits all the summary biographical points, the fictionalization allowed vidal some license and it's hard not to think of jfk while reading it. young, charismatic warrior/philosopher in the midst of a world of political intrigue.

also takes pokes at christianity at every turn, showing how the rituals, legends, and stories of the early church were borrowed from pagan sources which christians then sought to suppress. the characterisation of christianity is more familiar now, in the era of name of the rose, da vinci code, and others, but was probably fairly jarring in the early '60s.

i don't know if this is vidal's best, but it's good. also liked the series (trilogy?) centered around aaron burr. and his essays are always a hoot.

Oct 30, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

i was certain this would have been posted:
hard-bolied wonderland and the end of the world - H Murakami

and pretty much anything else by him

Oct 30, 05 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Steven, it sounds a lot like Robert Graves' 'I, Claudius'. I might look it out, although from the sounds of it, he might offend me!

John, there's a BBC miniseries of PandP from 1995 which was good; and I liked the new movie, even though it was fairly condensed from the book.

Oct 31, 05 3:07 am  · 
 · 
rayray

On the Way to Work
Damien Hirst/ Gordon Burn

How Soccer Explains the World
Franklin Foer

both okay....damien hirst is a funny guy.

Oct 31, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

i think i've seen the P&P series john has seen and i highly recommend it. my female english teacher couldn't get over how they were able to get the main lizzie's breasts to sit at this really odd angle.

i really dont' see how they can turn P&P into a single sitting movie when the miniseries was about 4-6 segments at a couple hours each.

and emma is fabulous.

Oct 31, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

eh joe

Oct 31, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

a people's history of the united states

howard zinn

Oct 31, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: