Archinect
anchor

Enhancing cad drawings with photoshop

harold

Does anyone have the book “enhancing cad drawing with Photoshop” from Scott Onstott? I can't seem to find any reviews of the book. I was looking for a tutorial book on coloring cad drawings in Photoshop but this is the only book I can find.

Jun 13, 05 10:02 am
Luis Fraguada

what about using Illustrator instead? You can import a cad file directly into Illustrator, without having to rasterize.

Jun 13, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

I'd go with Illustrator.

Jun 13, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
harold

Can you do stuff like this in Illustrator?

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=7516

What method do you use? Do you trace over with the pen tool or do you make closed plines in autocad and then fill in illustrator?

Jun 13, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

not registered there, so I cannot see what you mean . . . maybe post the picture here?

Jun 13, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

On a similar note, I have a question about exporting CAD drawings into Illustrator.

I know there are many different ways to do this..pdf, eps, jpg. I've been exporting using the eps option. Problem is when i bring the drawing into Illustrator my hatches (glazing, shadows, etc..) are not layering correctly. The only way i have found to correct this is to export my lines as one file, each layer of my glazing hatches and shadow hatches as separate files as well. Then i bring all 15 or so files into Illustrator and layer them in the correct order.

This is a pain beacause it takes forever and is quite tedious. Does anybody know a shorter, more efficient, perhaps a one-step process of bringing drawings into Illustrator?

Jun 13, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

what about opening the dxf right in illustrator instead of exporting? Dunno which version of Illustrator began accepting DXF files, but the latest CS versions, and probably 10 can import a dxf directly.

Jun 13, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
harold

This is made in Photoshop:

http://www.scottonstott.com/courses/psa10Screen.html

Jun 13, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

you should be able to do most of that in illustrator. If not, hop over to photoshop to get your pixels, but then bring it into illustrator to compose.

Jun 13, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Illustrator is certainly the way to go. You don't have to deal with a bunch of layers and levels because everything is vector based. Also, you can size and re-size your image to your heart's content without having to worry about losing resolution.

What's even better is that you can import JPG textures and turn them into swatches so that any closed polyline can be filled with that texture. Quick and easy; no masks required.

Jun 13, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Wangsta, have you tried printing a PDF using Acrobat Pro (or some other PDF writer like Cute PDF) and opening that up in Illustrator?

Jun 13, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

wisof and jasoner: thanks for the suggestions, I'll give 'em a whirl

Jun 13, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: