anyone do this?
is it possible?
pros and cons?

Jun 13, 05 8:21 am
Luis Fraguada

yes it is possible

Jun 13, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 

just a matter of making sure you have a DVI port. not sure how the hub funtionallity works, but I'm going to presume that it would work out of the box...

Jun 13, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
cSquared

IVe got a PC tower with a cinema display, and can tell you my experience getting it to work. DVI port=1st requirement. Then, you need a graphics card thats compatible. I found no 'official' list of these, so I played a little TandE before settling on a NvidGF6800GT. It works fine, except the display does not show BIOS startup, and none of the USB ports on the monitor work. I love the display so Im willing to deal with it, but youll need a second monitor somewhere for accessing the BIOS if you need to. Some graphics cards have other problems, such as having to config. resolution settings every time you boot or not working at all. Ive heard that the NvidGF6800Ultra, although pricey, works completely. But Im not sure what kind of GCard flexibility you have with a laptop.........

Jun 13, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Take a look at Dell's 24" LCD for $1200 (I've seen sales for $999). It's superb and has received perfect reviews. I've got one and it's amazing!

Not sure what Apple's go for, but I know the Dell is much cheaper than anything else and it looks great.

I think the new Apple's can work with PCs.

Jun 13, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

20% on Dell 2405FPW (24”) flat panel 12ms, 1920x 1200, 1000:1 contrast for $959.20 free shipping
Code: 7GTSLPB85JV811 Exp Th 6/16 5:59am CT or after 1500 uses

Better deal than I've seen before

Jun 14, 05 8:31 am  · 
 · 
cyn

trace where did you see that deal?

Jun 14, 05 9:03 am  · 
 · 
phreak125

Trace forgot to mention a few key things about the Dell monitors (i say monitors (plural) becasue the 2005fpw (20.1") is also killer).

i could be wrong, but i think i remember reading that they use the EXACT same samsung lcd panel. they also swivel so you can look at your screen in portrait mode. and they have dvi, regular crt hookups, two usbs, and a RCA in, so you can use the included picture-in-picture to watch tv/xbox while both your mac and old-as-crap pc are all hooked up at the same time.

and for half the price of the cinema display. yes they are no where near as sexy as anything made by apple, but they are pretty nice for Dell.

slickdeals.net is a great website to look at for deals on dell stuff. its sporadic so you have to check almost daily, but you will save TONS.

i got the 20.1" widescreen 2005fpw for $375 shipped! and yes i am a dork...

Jun 14, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Don't they also have an s-video input in addition to the composite (rca) video in, vga, and dvi? For a total of 4 possible inputs? The one I use at work does. Pretty nice displays!

Jun 14, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

we got the same deal on the 20.1 widescreen dell that phreak did. you can find it on their outlet site. i think that 375 is the price you get if you order a computer as well. the price for the monitor alone used to be closer to 495. it's pretty darn good - clean bezel and all the inputs above.

Jun 14, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, that 20.1" fpw is a sweet deal. Just make sure your graphic card can drive them. I bought 2 (before the 24") for my Dell 530 (dual 2.2s) with a Quadro 700 and it could not drive them (they are wide aspect).

I've got a 20.1" fp (same thing, but not widescreen - well, it's alittle older and I can notice the difference in contrast between it and the 24", the fpw's have a higher contrast than the fp, but not as high as the 24" - I bought a new workstation with the 24", so it can drive two of them in DVI). You can't get the same deals, though, I paid $500 incldng shipping, the best I could find.
I think Dell is trying to move the fpws, just because of compatibility. I sent my two back. Just check your graphic card's specs before you buy. They have a list on the site now (they didn't when I bought mine, and both tech support and the sales person said they would work).

They are all great monitors, though, and after looking at the Cinema in a store today, I'd say the Dell's are easily the quality, if not better (newer, high contrast). Not as pretty packaging, but then again, I am fine with the all black look.

My 2001fp has 4 inputs, my 24" has 5 plus memory card readers and numerous USB inputs. Pretty cool.

Jun 14, 05 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
cyn

sounds like a good deal, but i have alot to learn about graphics cards and drivers if i switch to pc. i've always stuck with mac because i get high performance and sexy hardware. it's like a porsche engine in a ferrari body. with dell, sounds like a ferrari engine in a honda body. not sure if i can cope...heh!

what is the outlet's website?

Jun 15, 05 8:06 am  · 
 · 
phreak125

cyn - the mac's will run the Dell monitors without any graphic card upgrades, or at least my older g4 powerbook 1ghz does. i think OSX handles it no matter which card you run? you will not be able to control the contrast on the dells without a software solution. there a free ones floating around on the internet. or you can buy a monitor calibration package adn get the best possible color that way.

yes the 20.1 has four inputs. is just havent used them all yet, so i forgot about the s-video.

the outlet is buried in Dells normal website, but note that the deal i was talking about was for a new monitor, not a refurb. that means if and when the deal shows up again, you will et a brand new monitor for $100 less than the current refurbed price... just a thought.

link

Jun 15, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Here's the current deal, although those coupons are probably gone by now:

New Dell Home LCD Monitor Coupons, Jun 16
Dell Home Electronics and Accessories has some hot new LCD display coupons. Free shipping, no tax in some states.

Stackable Online Codes (Combinable with auto discounts) Exp Tu 6/21 5:59am CT or after 3000 uses
$20 off $200 Code: 8N2HMC$584TKCQ
$30 off $300 Code: S$JZTQ86CQR3SV
$60 off $500 Code: DVG63SGBMTV$3K
Codes only works on orders upto $1000.

Dell 1704FP (17”) Digital LCD flat panel with DVI, fast 12ms response, 500:1 contrast ratio for $200.30, free shipping after $30 off $300 code and 30% off
Code: X6XMHK6VSFV?LJ Exp Sat 6/18 5:59am CT or after 4000 uses

Dell 2001FP (20”) Digital LCD Flat Panel 1600x1200, 400:1 contrast ratio , 16ms response, DVI, Svideo, Composite Video for $464.30, free shipping after $60 off $500 and 30% off
Code: 0Q45PXFG7X7N28 Exp Sat 6/18 5:59am CT or after 4000 uses

20% on Dell 2405FPW (24”) flat panel 12ms response, 1920x1200, 1000:1 contrast for $899.25 free shipping after 25% off
Code: $?JSFR8X2349BV Exp Sa 6/18 5:59am CT or after 500 uses

cyn: a dell is like a corvette. Not the prettiest or most exotic, but it's faster and a fraction of the cost of a Ferrari.

The outlet site is: www.delloutlet.com

I wouldn't buy a used LCD, though. I do have a refurbished workstation that was essentially new. I talked the sales person down about a grand on my last purchase, so getting a new one was close to the same as a used.

Jun 16, 05 9:21 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Cyn - most new graphic cards can support the wide aspect. Two of my machines are more than 1 year old, so they don't support them. If you have a new machine, shouldn't be a problem, just check (although Dell will gladly send the LCD out and take it back if you don't want it).

Jun 16, 05 9:30 am  · 
 · 
trace™
www.techbargains.com

....am tempted toget another 24"...

Jun 16, 05 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: