Archinect
anchor

dreamweaver help

grcoad

hi,

i am in charge for setting up the website in our office and have stumbled across a big problem.
in dreamweaver, i have created non scrollable text blocks but these text blocks are viewed very differently between mac(safari, explorer) and pc(explorer).
in our mac based office the non scrollable textblocks are complete; however when viewing the site from my pc at home, some of the text at the botttom are chopped off the page. (4 or five lines of text)

is there a setting that will make the site look "consistent" across the browsers and operating systems?

my boss wants to use helvetica neue as the font type, not sure if this is a standard across platforms?

thanks a bunch,

Jun 12, 05 12:42 pm
ericMontross

you'll almost always have a certain amount of inconsistencies between the different browsers and os's.
if it works on pc's it will work on macs [but, as you've noticed, not the other way around].
most browsers won't show helvetica neue either. the type will automatically be changed to a default font. that's the problem w/ html.
to solve this, you can design the type in illustrator, convert it to a jpg and bring it into dreamweaver.

Jun 12, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
grcoad

thanks ericmontross

Jun 12, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

you might try adding dummy script at the bottom of your block - same color text as your background - ie. white on white - if you are losing 4 or 5 lines - add six.
also on the font- hard code the html for the font with similar alternates by order of preference - <font face="helvetica neue, sans serif, helvetica, arial, verdana" size="1" color=#FFFFFF"> or whatever you can determine would do what you want. otherwise the page will default to whatever the browser audience has as their setup. that can really muck with spacing, the look etc.

dreamweaver dumps so much extra code, as a starting point its great, but - you might want to learn some .html

finetuning consistency is fun only when you finally get the stuff to say put and behave nicely.

e-)

Jun 13, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

sounds like an ill formated table or css box for the text box problem.

Jun 13, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
grcoad

thanks to all, your help is greatly appreciated..................

Jun 13, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: