Archinect
anchor

anyone using lego blocks for Quick brainstorming/ massing studies?

cipyboy

on circumstances where

... 3d software takes time to model  

... sketch does not show everything

... cutting cardboard takes forever,

would lego blocks help do the trick? or would it introduce certain unintentional visual bias? thinking of buying a set online...

Sep 12, 11 3:59 pm
tuna

why would massing studies take time to model on the computer? They’re massings. It’s not like you’re detailing the heck outta them. Or are you not comfortable modeling in 3d? but if it’s a quick brainstorming, I do lend more towards sketching since its quick and dirty, hence the name brainstorming.  

Sep 12, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

thnx tuna, im comfortable using 3d, but i would want something tangible to look at on random times of the day that does not require me to boot the pc... and look at the screen. yup im also sketching . the pt of this question is if it helps to get a lego set or something similar.

Sep 12, 11 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

not really. they are toys. try using modeling clay if you want something sculptable and reusable.

Sep 12, 11 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I prefer duplos when doing quick massing studies of the town that is about to be attacked by the pirate spaceship.

Sep 12, 11 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

IMO legos are great for doing quick studies of how a smaller mechanical system works - but buildings?  I don't see how they'd be faster than cardboard and masking tape if you're doing physical massing models- plus you're pretty limited by the unit.

Sep 12, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

I've seen them used before, but I think they are limiting.  I like sketching, modeling on the computer and cardboard/tape.  Cardboard only takes forever if you are being precise about it.  It's not a presentation model though, so it should come together quickly if you are just trying things out.

Sep 12, 11 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

(Vacant NL,  Rietveld Landscape at the 2010 Venice Biennale)

Blue foam! (or pink)

Sep 12, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

I'll second the foam. You can get sheets of them from Home Depot / Lowes. Typically in the building material section. It's super easy to manipulate; all you really need is a knife, sandpaper and possibly a few sculpting tools!

Sep 12, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Even easier with a hot wire tabletop cutter ($150 for a decent one)

Sep 12, 11 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Or a cheese wire cutter, a 9-volt battery and alligator clips if you're a badass.

Sep 12, 11 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

... thanks guys, imma go for foam ... found this on amazon

$14+ shipping styro cutter

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wire-Hobby-Foam-Cutter/dp/B004IA8CK8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1315886064&sr=8-6

Sep 12, 11 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

make sure you're in a very well ventilated space when you do it.

Sep 13, 11 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yep, toasterover.  We're all probably getting cancer.  It's the price of design ;-)

just kidding.. if you're concerned though, wear a standard nose mask while cutting... always a good $0.99 investment when doing stuff in a workshop that involves resin or fibers.

Sep 13, 11 9:44 am  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

The foam is great, I've used that a few times for massing models. If you mess it up, it dosent matter, because it so cheap and you usually have a lot left over. The hot wire cutter can be a pani in the ass, but the more you use it, the more you get used to its mannerisms. A table saw works well for cutting the huge sheets down, bandsaws too.

I used to enjoy playing with Jenga blocks, I would try to make skyscrapers out of them and get them as tall as I could. I usually got them up to about 5 ft before I ran out of blocks. I guess I should have been an engineer.

Sep 14, 11 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: