Archinect
anchor

Apple to switch to Intel

So there goes my 'RISC is superior' arguement.
Anyone else have comments?
Anyone know if Apple is going to allow OSX on hardware other then theirs?

Jun 6, 05 4:00 pm
Luis Fraguada

Would this make it easier for AutoDesk to port over 3DS and AutoCAD (not to mention other comps and programs like Rhinoceros)?

Or are they not doing it for other reasons?

Jun 6, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

I'm presuming its because IBM/Motorola wasn't producing improved processors at the rate they said they would. I'm actually quite surprised because all of the new video game systems (XBOX 360, PS3, and Nintendo Revolution) are going to be using dual core PowerPC processors.

I'd like to think that Autodesk and others should be able to port over to OSX sooner because of this switch, seeing that OSX will be running on an x86 system instead of RISC. I guess we'll have to hold on for the ride: Intel based Apple computers are to be released in 2006, with the transition to Intel/x86 to be 100% complete by 2007.

Jun 6, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I was following the keynote address, and at one point, it seemed like there was a three-way banging going on onstage 'tween Steve Jobs, CEO of Intel, and some Adobe guy.

Jun 6, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I dont' know how to feel, this paraphrased quote seems to sum it up for me-

'it's like finding your girlfriend in bed with another woman- sure it's hot, but what about the big picture?'

Jun 6, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

nice one fro9k

Jun 6, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

haha... so true. but its a change thats going to happen.

Jun 6, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

I'm not sure about the whole 'RISC vs. CISC' thing.
As I understand it modern chip designs like the Pentium
have incorporated RISC like features. Pipelining comes to mind.
Plus they've added 64bit extensions. All in all, the Pentium has been
a pretty sturdy war horse, albeit a Frankenstein one.
I think you basically grab what works well, what the market demands
and is willing to pay and what keeps you competitive.
Most of all, I look forward to the day when we're past all this
'Windows vs. OSX vs. Linux', 'Intel vs. AMD vs. IBM' or whatever.
Sure, the tool is important, but what do you actually want to do?
Today, we have systems that would've been considered supercomputers 10 years ago, sitting on our desks. But we're still interacting with these 'boxes' in the same way.
CPU cycles should be coming out of a socket in the wall and connectivity should be build in to the window frame!
Ok, I'm ranting...

Jun 6, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

Oh, one more...the PS3 will be using the CELL processor, which is not a dual core PowerPC. More like a G5 with 8 AltiVec units.

Jun 6, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: