Archinect
anchor

To enter the world of corporate architecture....?

clint.langevin

I was recently offered a salaried position at a Aedas's  large Hong Kong office.  The position would give me experience in the type of work I would like to do (big infrastructure projects), but I am worried that if I accept the offer I may limit myself to working for big corporate firms in the future.  Ideally, I would like to work for a large but design oriented firm such as Foster, Grimshaw or Calatrava,  and I am thinking that this could be a stepping stone.  I am also thinking that given the current climate, it is best to take what I can get; I've been out of school for 5 months now and after applying to about 100 firms, mainly in Europe, this is the best offer I've had.  Any thoughts?    

Sep 10, 11 10:53 am
jmanganelli

aedas does some innovative design - i would consider that an excellent firm both for doing large scale projects and design-oriented work - maybe not all of their branch offices are design-oriented.  but i met a guy from the london office presenting his work at a conf. and it was fascinating, very innovative stuff.  earning a position in the firm and then transferring to another office location where the design work that interests you occurs may be an option

Sep 10, 11 11:07 am  · 
 · 
da_la

Congrats on landing a job in this tough climate.

As far as working for more 'design oriented' firms as you mentioned, I would advise to  take whatever you can get right now. the experience you will gain  is very important for you as you are just out of school. You can always change firms and environment when the opportunity arises.

I was actually interested in applying for a job in Hongkong, I was wondering if you got hired in the US and will be sent to hongkong or you are already there. Can you give me some insight on the application process? do you speak chinese? thanks.

Sep 10, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Take the job

It's much better to worry and agonize over future career choices (or lack thereof) as you deposit paychecks than as you watch TV in your underwear day after day.

Sep 10, 11 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
clint.langevin

Thanks for the comments, taking the job seems to be the consensus.

da_la: I am currently living in Toronto, which is where I got the offer from.  As for giving you some insight into the application process, I don't have much to offer.  My brother randomly met an architect in DC who liked my work but the firm she's at is under a hiring freeze.  She thought I would do well in HK so she forwarded my work sample and I lucked into an interview...I'd say try to find someone who's working in HK or knows someone in HK who would be willing to help you out. 

citizen:  good call.

Sep 10, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I can't think of many boutiques that'll turn you away just because you have corporate experience.  How many SOM seniors left to successfully start leading edge boutiques?  Just think of Adrian Smith+Gordon Gill.  

Take the job.

Sep 10, 11 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: