Archinect
anchor

Autocad problems

grid

So I'm using AutoCAD 2005 (academic license).

My problem occurs when I open the file someone sent to me. The autocad file is supposed to be a somewhat detailed floor plan, but when I open it all I see are a few electrical items, some labels and a couple doors. The preview for the file shows how it's supposed to be, but once I open it, it's completely different.

Here is the preview:

And what I get once I open it:

Anyone know what's causing this? All of the files came together as a zip file, could the compressing and decompressing cause it? Any help is appreciated.

Jun 3, 05 7:22 pm
grid

Here the first image again

Jun 3, 05 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

looks like an xref problem to me... didja check that?

Jun 3, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
grid

And again (the part you actaully need to see)

Jun 3, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

almost definitely an xref issue. you probably don't have all the files you need.

Jun 3, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

check the paths....

Jun 3, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Autocad will preview info you may not have (i.e. the xref). I think it saves the preview as a separate image file and displays that.

Jun 3, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

or put all the files into one dir. if the paths are dead, autocad defaults to the active directory the file is in.

Jun 3, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

check your layers, make sure everything is turned on

Jun 3, 05 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
grid

You guys are right, it wasn't finding the xrefs. Thanks for the quick responses too. I have it taken care of now.

Jun 3, 05 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

sorry i say "directory", it's vestigial from the old C:\>_ days.

Jun 3, 05 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: