Archinect
anchor

Buenos Aires, anyone?

soleil

I'm headed to Buenos Aires for a 10 day adventure in mid-July - - -- what are your must-see/must-do's?

many thanks for your insight!

Jun 1, 05 1:46 pm
mauOne™

the recently opened MALBA is a must (www.malba.org.ar/)

SUPER MUSTS:

London Bank, Clorindo Testa
Biblioteca Nacional, Clorindo Testa
Kavanagh Building, Sánchez, Lagos y De la Torre

get urself some SUMMA+ magazines with argentinian housing works on them # 60 & #65 are collection edition of latin & argentinian work

caminito the TANGO neighborhood

visit LeCorbusiers house in La Plata 30" ride from Baires

the Xul Solar institute is a magnificent work of latin american architecture, by Beitía and his houses if you can

the BOCA neighborhood and stadium

and be sure to eat some argentinian premium steak with a red wine bottle

:o)

enjoy !

Jun 1, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
ovejo

take the Rivadavia Avenue and go up to the Casa Rosada. From there try visiting the CNBA and the little stores in front of it. Especially the small book store in front of it (i just love the idea of an underground library). If you had up from there towards the Congreso Nacional you'll see the oldest buildings in argentina. Taking the subway Linea A is a must (especially when the old wodden ones come around). ... Ah... Argentina is just such a lovely place.
if you are into bridges, you can go the other way and there is a bridge called La Mujer, if my memory doesnt fail me. its next to a ship of some kind.
make sure you eat a shit load of Asado with a bunch of Anchuars... hmmm:P

Jun 2, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
achg

its been a while since i was there but the suggestions to eat a lot of steak and drink a lot of red wine are solid. also try the morsilla. check out the cemetary in recolleta - eva peron is there she's totally dead - it's very parisian.

Jun 3, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
diegop

The best thing in BA is to enjoy the good life.. here are some of my recommendded restaurants..The best architecture is anonymous, specially from the modern period 30's and 40's, and you just find it wandering around...

Patagonia Sur, Rocha 801, La Boca (tel 011/4303-5917). Very smart place run by the leading Argentine chef, Francis Mallmann. The interesting menu combines French sauces with top-rate lamb, beef and seafood from Patagonia. Closed Sun evening.

Tomo 1, Carlos Pellegrini 525, in Hotel Panamericano (tel 011/4326-6695). Considered by many to be Buenos Aires' best haute cuisine restaurant; an elegant but refreshingly unpretentious place where all the emphasis is on the exquisitely cooked food. There are lunchtime and evening set menus for around $50, offering dishes such as a terrine of zucchini with almonds and an à la carte menu, with a superb magrets of duck accompanied by pears and rosemary.

Basque Français, Moreno 1370, Montserrat (tel 011/4304-4841). For over a hundred years, this restaurant has been serving up expertly cooked seafood such as squid, octopus and fruits de mer. Expensive but delicious, and more affordable if there are a few of you to share dishes. Closed Sun.

Freddo, Galerías Pacífico, Av. Córdoba and Florida. Buenos Aires' best ice-cream chain provides a compelling reason to descend to the basement of this shopping centre on a hot day - dulce de leche fans will be in heaven and the unusual pomelo (grapefruit) flavour is superb. Many other branches throughout the city.

Jun 15, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Manu Bar

I totally agree diegop first paragraph. So my advice is walk around the city without a schedule. Eat a lot of 'bife de chorizo' and morcilla ( the sweet one has chocolate and orange crusts) accompanied with argentinian Malbec or uruguayan Tanat ( you won't regret).
On Sunday morning, you have to visit the Dorrego square's fair, not just for buying but to see an important event in Bs. As. history.
I wasn't originally in the Tango's mood, but my girlfriend wants to go to a Milonga ( a place of Tango) , and I must say it's wonderful, If you could take a look to 'La Confiteria Ideal' a modernist cafeteria with dancing area, I guess you could find it, attractive. If you like to know a place deeply 'porteño' (bonaerense) you have to go to 'El Cafe Tortoni' on avenida de Mayo (near Plaza de Mayo) it is the ancient cafe of Buenos Aires a meeting place of writers and poets ( Alfonsina Storni, Borges, Cortázar, etc), Tango singers and polititians were and still are among its visitors.
Certainly Dr. Curutchet's house, designed by Corbu is a gem that you shouldn't miss. It is located in La Plata, a 30 min. travel by bus from the very 9 de Julio avenue and is open till 15.30 (monday-Friday). Once you get there, ask for Amancio William's House ( a Modern argentinian Architect) an icon of argentinian modern architecture.
El Barrio de La Boca is a very known touristic place, but if you ask me is quite scenographic, but If you like football 'La Bombonera', Boca junior's stadium is probably a unique experience and if you have the chance of be in a River Plate-Boca Junior encounter, your perception of teams antagonism will change dramatically.
El Centro Cultural Borges in Galerias Pacifico on Calle Florida will present an exposition of Andy Warhol.
Please, eat at 'El Palacio de la Papa Frita' and order papas souffle a kind of french fries (really the best french fries ever).
Havanna's alfajores are a sort of cookies, exquisites...
Puerto Madero is the ancient dockland of Bs. As., and now is a giantic night place (from tango to progressive, funk or techno music).
Bs. As. is quite famous by its leisure facilities and night activities.
Good Luck.

Jun 17, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
soleil

thanks for the time it took to write all this out - you guys are great!

I leave next friday!!! can hardly wait!

Jul 8, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Spur of the moment trip - going tomorrow. This is an old thread, so does anyone have more recent advice?

Jan 2, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Polermo Soho is fun. Eat lots of meat. Drink lots of Wine. Buy lots of cheap hot fashion.

Puerto Madero. Calatrava Bridge.

Jan 3, 09 5:29 am  · 
 · 

Stay in Palermo and walk the streets there. Great neighborhood with shops, restaurants and street life. It's recently revitalized so there's a lot of interesting architectural rehabs.

DN
Connecticut Architects

Jan 3, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
n400

Go shopping, especially at the Ferias. Most of my clothing and jewelry is from Argentina's Ferias. A store called Un Lugar En El Mundo (on defensa a few blocks north of the antique market plaza) also has cute stuff. Everything is stylish yet cheap. I don't plan to buy any clothing or jewelry until I can afford to go back to BA.

Go to the Recoleta Cemetery for some good architecture and lots of stray cats. See the blog about it online (I think there's a link to it on the wikipedia page).

Jan 4, 09 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I have a friend that was recently in Argentina for some type of adventure holiday on a ranch. He said the people at the ranch said BA is very dangerous for western tourists, especially Americans. Is that true? I've always wanted to visit both Argentina and Brasil and have heard several stories about the relative lack of safety in both coutries. Should one be more cautious there than elsewhere?

Jan 6, 09 8:40 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

BA is not dangerous if you know where you are going. be careful as you move past San Telmo away from Soho Palermo...I have no problems though...there are lots of big city streets...so pick pockets and the like are around...scams...just pay attention...the same as one might do in NYC.

I never once felt scared or afraid in BA...oh, do use a registered taxi...on't just ride in some random car for a ride. That is true pretty much anywhere though.

enjoy...Argentines know how to enjoy themselves like nobody else.

Jan 6, 09 9:35 am  · 
 · 
n400

I found that BA has a reputation as being dangerous among some Argentines out in the mountains and other parts of the country. Maybe it's been particularly dangerous in the past, during their cyclical political and economic disasters.

I second the part about getting further into San Telmo away from Palermo. The idea is that you're getting closer to La Boca. Don't go to La Boca except in a cab during the day to ride through and see all of the colorful buildings. Besides that, I always felt safe too.

Jan 6, 09 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: