Archinect
anchor

Moving to Los Angeles

swift

my roommate and i are looking for someone:
837 traction ave #201
next to sci-arc, groundworks coffee shop, little tokyo.
available starting mid may 2006.
1500 sf space to share with two others.
own room is approx. 185 sq ft.
rent + utilities is approx. $635/month
easy street parking.
gated parking is available for a monthly fee.
we are two girls, mid/late 20s, looking for same.
if interested, please contact [email protected] for viewing on

priority will be given to those that intend on staying for 1+ year.
credit check is required by building management and must sign a lease.

thanks.

Apr 4, 06 3:15 am  · 
 · 
M+1

Echo Park Room for rent:

Only $650/month

6-10 minutes from SCIarc.
Private room in 3 br house with 2 girls and a big friendly dog.
Parking included / yard / laundry room / hardwood floors / all new appliances / walk in closet

Looking for someone who can move in May.

If you're interested please email me at: [email protected]

Apr 5, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Kou

I too will be attending sci-arc this fall. But only for 1 year for the post graduate program. Is it vital that I get a car or scooter ? Would bicycle suffice?

I'm international so I would have to get new licence if I want to drive in LA and I heard the process can take several weeks. I intend to live no further than Echo Park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Apr 5, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

People, just be aware of your surroundings in Los Angeles. It is way way more dangerous than it at first appears. Everyone is so isolated in their cars and homes if you scream for help nobody will hear you. And please, as hard as it is to avoid, stay away from Korea Town. There are roving gangs in souped up cars out to get you. Little Armenia is rough as well for the organized crime gangs. They don't stick to their own kind in Little Armenia. They will shoot or knife you without thinking twice. If you can afford to live in Brentwood or Santa Monica where there is a police presence you should try to do that. Thinking of a motorcycle or scooter?
Gangbangers will run you off the freeway in a trice. It happens every single day. If the gangbangers don't get your on you motorcyle the airheads on their cell phones will.

Apr 6, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

haruki,

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Apr 6, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Haruki-What dystopic parallel universe have you been living in??? Mike Davis's?????

These are urban myths- yeah, my car was stolen ten years ago in LA, but that's the only crime that's happened to me in the city of angles. I don't know anybody who was 'jacked, robbed, home invaded, wilded, or encountered any of these nightmares out here since landing on the west coast in 1994.

Philly is way more dangerous, with the neighborhood around Penn being prone to armed robberies- I was robbed in center city (but the kid was so stupid that he got caught in front of me), and several friends at upenn got held up in west philly...

So why are trying to freak out the new sci-arc and ucla students. Is life so good here that you don't want any more archinectors moving to our slice of eden?

More people die from tornados back east then even feel earthquakes in SoCal. The news media wants to freak people out because it's good for ratings - so don't believe the hype.

Welcome to everybody moving to LA- it's a great place to live.

Apr 6, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

second treekiller.

LA is no more dangerous than any other urban area. just practice typical street smarts. and i've actually run into more trouble in santa monica where haruki claims to have less crime than in other areas.

Apr 6, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have never had a problem in my hood; pasadena

Apr 6, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Kou

Thanks, mdler, treekiller and ants, I hope LA isn't like what haruki has said !!! My mind is all set for sci-arc and I'm definately going to LA all the way from Sydney !

So I guess bicycle isn't a good idea ? Maybe I should get scooter licence.... does anyone know what is the time and cost envolved for scooter licence ....? thanks in advance !

Apr 6, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

this is one of the roving gangs in korea town you should avoid:

Apr 6, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Stop trying to act so tough because you're 'making it' in LA. If you don't act like an f'ing tourist you're pretty much fine. But if you've got a car, make sure you've got an alarm for it, or at least one of the little blinky lights that makes it LOOK like you've got an alarm. I've only ever had my car broken into, nothing has been attempted on my person in six years here.

Apr 6, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I live in Palms (West LA). Its rough and tough! One time I almost got in a knife-fight with this gang member. But then it later became clear that I had been drinking, and that the tree in front of my apartment was just looking at me the wrong way. Well, I f'ed it up pretty bad. No. No I didn't. That tree beat me up pretty good.

Apr 6, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

a scooter on the 405 at rush hour could be a problem

Apr 6, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I just spent some quality time on the 405.

Apr 6, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

any vehicle on the 405 at rush hour could be a problem.

why do they call it the 405? cause it takes 4 o' 5 hours before you get anywhere. the worst is going south just past the wilshire exit but before the 10 interchange. always clogged. ALWAYS.

Apr 7, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
mdler

mdler is rarely clogged...thanks sillium fiber

Apr 7, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
ostrel

1.why doesnt anyone mention west hollywood
it's a perfect area, quiet, pretty, plus sunset strip is right by

2.haruki is totally right, come night time, eastern part of la is pretty dangerous; that's why u don't see any people on the streets at night in the ghetto neighborhoods of la

3.all the idiots that think they can get around on a bike in la - get a life.
everyone drives cars here, even old 80 year old grandmas; if u think public transportation will get u somewhere, well if u want to spend at least 2 hours catching a bus, go ahead.

Apr 7, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
ArchitectCha

Ok. I just got my acceptance letter for Fall 2006. I'll be attending the Undergrad program's 3A, so I'm guaranteed to be in Sci-arc for another three years.

jenny4r have you found a roommate yet? Anyone else here who hasn't posted that's interested, drop me a private e-mail.

I have no pets, own a car, don't party at home, and plan on staying in the studio for most of my waking hours.
Just need a cozy homebase, and a roommate who shares similar philosophies to keep expenses to a minimum.

Apr 8, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

ostrel-

1. the original request was for a good/ affordable area, West Hollywood is neither. (Ooooooooh slam!) And i would really hate living next to the strip.

2. Depends what you mean by "eastern part of LA." Most actual neighborhoods will be fine. Silverlake and Echo Park are perfectly safe, at least as safe as anywhere else in LA. Immediately adjacent to SCI-Arc, not so safe. But it has yet to become a real neighborhood.

3. Ok, you're right on this one, you really have to have a car in LA. One of my friends actually biked from Venice to SCI-Arc as his major form of transport. Got run over once and hassled by the cops and drivers frequently. He was in amazing shape, but it didn't sound like much fun. (He actually was such a badass he frequently beat traffic on the 10 riding his bike.)

Apr 8, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
invenio an facio

way to rip off ben gibbard, heterarchy. ripping off other people's brilliant work...ah, yes...a tried and true method of getting yourself ahead in life. good luck with that.

at least give the poor bastard you just ass raped a decent reach around.

Jun 19, 07 4:51 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh snap, someone got schooled, on a post over 2wo years no less old oh snap!

izzy, i think you'll find that many here "rip" text from books, articles and the like in an effort to make a point...nothing new with that right?

Jun 19, 07 4:57 am  · 
 · 
invenio an facio

i was just being coy. you can't blame a guy for being fashionably late. there's something to be said for a good entrance.

Jun 19, 07 5:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont touch my bags if you please
mr customs man.

Jun 19, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
I heading down to cali, cali, cali

- LL Cool J

Jun 19, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: