Archinect
anchor

south LA/Orange county

fongdaddy

Hi,

can anyone provide any names of decent firms South of LA ie Huntington beach way?...also how do these areas compare with working more directly in LA?

Jun 1, 05 8:25 am

Don't buy into the lies of the OC!
Sorry, but I really hate that show...

Jun 1, 05 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Bula

There are many, many firms in the Irvine area, although nearly all are business-centered practices. I'm sure there are also a fair number of progressive architects in the area, but I can't think of any off hand. Some of the bigger 100+ firms are LPA, MVE & Ware-Malcomb (again, all business centered). You may want to do some research on a few large design firms (that you already respect) to see if they have any satellite offices in OC. If you want a progressive design oriented office, you will probably have to work at a small firm in Laguna Beach (mostly residential Arch’s there). Also, the OC Register has been averaging 10-15 job listings every Sunday for the past year.

PS- The only place more expensive than LA is OC. I really gotta get outa here.

Jun 1, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Orange County is a horrible place to live.

Jun 1, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
tman

What a nice way to contribute nothing and still manage to be a pretentious ass...i follow your footsteps.

Jun 1, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

go for Carrier Johnson, in Irvine. Their main office is in San Diego, and one of my friends has been saying a lot of good things about his time there. Hopefully the Irvine office is as good.

Jun 1, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

laguna beach? be carefull.

Jun 1, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

WATG

Jun 2, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
FormuLA

I'm in the OC and it's not THAT bad... ;)

Carrier Johnson in Irvine is pretty cool- the lead designer is a UCLA grad and very cool [Ray Varela].

Bauer and Wiley has some cool stuff going on, again the lead designer is a coll individual [Brian Pratt].

Most is "corporate" around here- my wife worked for LPA- some cool stuff but too damn tight and getting ultra, ULTRA-conservative. Too bad, they were pretty cool at one time.

One word of caution- beware the OC AIA. Talk about dead above the shoulders. Main agenda is golf-tournament and self-gratification. No criticality at all. CLueless

there is a small group of us "underground" [which includes the two guys in the firms above]... nice group, lots of energy.

and in the OC, you can always buy and Eichler, and live in great mid-century modernism that is not in LA.

Jun 2, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

oh, btw, average pay in OC is just a little bit lower than in LA

Jun 3, 05 7:46 am  · 
 · 

but the benefits tend to be better, because the OC is populated by big corporate type firms

Jun 3, 05 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Anything in Irvine is gona be corperate but there are some cool modern firms around. LPA used to do some cool stuff before Leesom left, now he's running a small firm LP3 i belive. Might be just him. Singer does some cool stuff.

Would rather be in San Diego myself bt the place isnt so bad once you acept thet driving anywhere will take half an hour at least. But seems on average jobs pay about 20% higher than in San Diego with the cost of living remaining about the same.

Jun 3, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: