Archinect
anchor

domestic landscape influencing urban landscape

okay,
i'm working on a essay/theoretical discourse that is questioning the way in which ubiquitous consumer technologies are interacting with and re-defining the urban environment. i've been trying to come up with some great singular moments that deal with this. these are preferably real urban spaces that have integrated technology in a way that begins to blur the relationship between the domestic and urban (or public and private)...kinda like the inverse of the case study house logic that intended to invite the landscape and city into the house...any great examples?

May 30, 05 3:04 pm
abracadabra

i would seriously look into homeless camps, under extreme need and necessities.

May 30, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not really "technology", but I'm amazed at the sudden popularity of rocking chairs in airports.

Definitely a blurring of public/domestic space, especially during a long layover. Add a laptop and a wireless internet connection and you might as well be at home.

May 30, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

don't leave home without it

May 30, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Bryant Park in NYC.

Free wireless + sun + lawn + movable chairs = gigantic back yard in the middle of Manhattan.

May 30, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

iPods.

I hear of the occassional meeting where people will switch headphone jacks for a minute or two, but for the most part, I find they create a greater sense of seperation [privatization] as more and more people walk about their daily routine according to their own theme music. Whether consciously or unconsciously, we're insulating ourselves from the world around us in many ways.

May 30, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

which one of these guys pimpin' domestic architecture in the city?
A. the guy with land based bell atlantic
B. the guy with nokia
C. the Girls.

May 30, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

or

D. the platform shoes

May 30, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

shit. one thing leading to another. i must leave before domestic issues take over my life. and i am kicked out from this urban theory thread.
i must confess though, i sure would like to be in that (a) domestic- (b)urban- (c) red room, before they change the zoning..

May 30, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

great,
thanks everyone. especially the bryant park example begins to strike a chord...all of them are great. the homeless one was very unexpected but a fascinating topic...is it just the low-tech version?
now i just need to come up with something good in europe or other than the US.

May 31, 05 8:12 am  · 
 · 
rutger

When the weather's nice here in Delft (nl), students often put their furniture on one or more parkingspaces alongside one of the canals and have a bbq. I don't have a picture, but it looks amazing...like the city has outdoor livingrooms.

May 31, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Pants, shirts and my glass.

Now I could resident anywhere with my brain and my hand.

Jun 1, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Jun 1, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Jun 1, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: