Archinect
anchor

Part 2 Indecisiveness that has become unhealthy..

NSG.

Hi

I have just worked for 9 months in my year out after completing a Part 1 (BA Hons) at Manchester. I was working too hard and too late that I managed to miss deadlines for Graduate schools.

I have a place in Manchester, it will give me an MA AND Riba Part 2 all in 2 years.

My dilemma is: I can't go back. I hate the city it is not inspiring at all. This might be a superficial reason, but it feels like my gut feeling. I need to move on to somewhere else.

It has always been my dream to go to Delft in the Netherlands. I got into Berlage, but it is a PostGrad. I want to become an Architect in the UK.

Should I suck it up and go to Manchester for 2 dreadful years?

Or should I hold out for one more year to go somewhere better and inspiring and s**ew RIBA (become an Architect in Netherlands.) ?

Help me. I am 24 but quite naive and inexperienced :S

Sep 8, 11 12:41 pm
Jonce

Hi,

So what have you decided I have also studied in MSA, MA course, the worst exprience in my life. If you still deciding dont go there.

Jun 16, 13 7:58 am  · 
 · 
square

If you hate it that much, then don't go back. 

Taking a year, or two or three (like I did ) between school can be very valuable. Find a job in something related, do some service work, etc. Try a job that's not quite as demanding. I worked in the non-profit construction industry, and I'm super happy I made the choice.. Now I'm headed back for the fall.

This will also give you plenty of time to get your application together in its best form, instead of rushing it. That was one of the first things that told me not to apply in senior year.. I, like you, could have had a spot at the same school I went to for my BS in Arch (equivalent in the US to the Part 1) but would have been miserable in the town/program. 

Taking another year off to get it right won't kill you.. you have your whole life to practice architecture.

Jun 17, 13 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: