Archinect
anchor

remote access to office server?

grcoad

Hello,

I will be working remotely from the office for several weeks and would like to access our office server. Any helpful tips? Best software?

Thanks

May 26, 05 11:50 pm
Brim

easiest is to setup an ftp server software - you use an ftp client to get files, then upload when done working.

OR

you can setup a virutal private network and use a mapped drive...either you should use high speed internet acess.

May 26, 05 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
grcoad

thanks brim,

could you suggest a software for setting up this virtual private network and mapped drive?

thanks

May 27, 05 12:54 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

we have WinVNC and i use it frequently to work on weekend and such...the difference is that it actually logs into my computer at the office...so not only do i get the server, but also my own hardrive, desktop and outlook.

don't know if that is helpful...but thought i would share.

May 27, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

What kind of server is it? Most server softwares have a remote desktop functionality. There are also remote administration programs like RAdmin and the like. I have some Windows 2003/2000 servers that I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection to work with. But this will be more to administer the server. If you just want file transfer, I suggest setting up an SFTP server. There is a company, SSH, that makes a pretty solid SFTP server. Acts like FTP does, but it encrypts the transfer sessions, so it is more secure. There is also a free SFTP server out there . . .but it takes some fiddling to set it up correctly.

May 27, 05 11:00 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I use Remote Desktop from inside Windows Xp Pro. I definately like it, and you can transfer files from your network at the office to your computer at home. Although most of the time I just use my office computer since it has all my settings just the way I like them. The only caveat is that you need a speedy connection to make this work well.

The best part is you don't need any extra software if you have XP Pro at work and at least XP at home. You may need your IT guy to help you set up a secure port and find the IP you're office computer is broadcasting.

you can go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ to find that out.

Then go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB%3Ben-us%3B187623
to learn how to edit your registry.

May 27, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ralphwulf

You can easily access your office server remotely using tools like on premise R-HUB remote support servers or logmein and start working remotely. 

Mar 15, 21 8:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: