Archinect
anchor

Max Question

doberman

Does anybody know how to make the snap really accurate in Max? Even when i work with the snap turned on and when i draw or move things using the snap to vertex option, when i zoom really closely there is always a gap between objects that should touch really perfectly (by that i mean that there shouldn't be any visible gaps between them, like in autocad). Is there anyway to correct that or is this just something in Max that i have to live with??

May 26, 05 7:20 am
cvoogt

try limiting your snaps to just vertices - too many snappable entities can confuse it / slow it down

May 26, 05 7:53 am  · 
 · 
doberman

that's what i'm doing. I've only got evertex selected in my snaps tool box so as to avoid any possible conflict with other snap settings. What i was trying to explain is that even when you 'vertex snap' to object when you zoom in the area where the objects touch, you either end up with objects overlaping slightly or margianlly apart from each other. They seem to be perfectly ajacent but when you get real close they're just not. It's really pissing me off, but maybe i'm just too anal.

May 26, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
doberman

as you can see my typing is going from bad to worse. sorry about that...

May 26, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i would ask yourself if this is really a problem before you waste too much time on it. what are we talking here... 1/1000 of an inch? 1/100th? I am not saying it isn't nice to be 100% accurate like in microstation, but is this really a problem?

May 26, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
cvoogt

maybe you need to check your snap strength in the Options for Grid and Snap Settings ... at least in max6 it works accurately for me with a snap strength of 8 pixels, angle of 5 degrees and percent of 10. it can also be a graphics card issue. i remember on a previous machine sometimes vertices would appear misaligned when i could have sworn they were fine. i'd double check openGl settings

May 26, 05 10:20 am  · 
 · 
trace™

What version are you using? The newer ones have (supposedly) better snaps.

In my opinion Max's snaps really suck. FormZ is far superior for accuracy.

May 26, 05 10:21 am  · 
 · 
doberman

You're probably right actually. I was just wondering if there's a snap setting you can tweak somewhere and that would solve this problem right away. I still find it annoyuing that can't get the level of accuracy that you have in Cad or Microstation.

May 26, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 
doberman

thanks for your help. I'm using max 7 and i'll have a look at what cvoogt suggested when my rendering's finished.

May 26, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: