Archinect
anchor

Best way to learn 3DS max without classes?

nappy

Anyone with suggestions?
I want to master this fast.
Bible?
Any other tutorials beside bible?

May 24, 05 9:32 am
Lukasz

use it ! read help. serious.

May 24, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
trace™

There are thousands online, some great, some so so. What do you want to learn? I'd start with a book like Ted Boardman's. It will show you architectural stuff and guide you through the basics. He's also got a site with free video tutorials.

www.3dpalace.com has a ton of free videos, too. Just look around and follow through - finis the tutorials you start.

Good luck. It's hard, but ain't that bad.

May 24, 05 9:43 am  · 
 · 
nappy

thanks for the help guys.
Well I have done Scott Onstott's "Learning Viz 4 CD" and I know VIZ is very similar to 3ds max.

However. after I've gone through the tutorial I do not have a good sense that I know it. The tutorial consisted of doing bits and pieces so there was nothing akin to starting a building from scratch.

Anyway, I haven't touched viz at all after I "learned" it. But when I try to start one something...it seems like I dunno where or how to start. I was thinking of doing MORE tutorials, since I am not planning to do any projects atm.

May 24, 05 9:49 am  · 
 · 
bigness

you should always have the book and the program on at the same time, and working on a project is, i think, a later stage. u have to go through modelling a few ducks and a few flowers before you get to more complex stuff...my opinion!

May 24, 05 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

A good book series is the Visual Quickstart Guides. Get you off and going on a program with some nice simple tutorials, then they build on those to more intermediate.

Also, the Max Bible series is good once you have gone through the Visual Quickstart.

May 24, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Hey guys thanks,

I have gone through scott onstott's tutorial with the program and cd running at the same time. I even watched all the tutorial videos. I haven't touched VIZ much since I uhmmm "learned" it and sadly probably forgot like 50% of the stuff I learned...but then again I never knew how to put it all together anyway.

Alright fine, i'm stupid.

May 24, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Have you looked around for the Max Courseware? Discreet ships it out to Universities for professors who will be teaching the software. It is damn good. All sorts of tutorials covering the whole program in book form with an accompanying CD. Highly recommended.

May 24, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
edgararq

I've seen 4 books

3ds max 7 bible by Kelly Murdock
3ds max fundamentals by Ted Boardman
Inside 3ds max 7 by Sean Bonney
3ds max 7 fundamentals and beyond courseware by Discreet

Which do you recommend me?

Which does teach me more on architectural models?

Jul 18, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
edgararq

I've seen 4 books

· 
edgararq

I've seen 4 books

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

so is that 12 books total?

Jul 18, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i would just grab the bible, they are usually pretty useful and straightforward. then do a couple small "projects"

model an interior shot: a room with some lighting and furniture in it.

model a small exterior shot

when you feel comfortable, do something bigger, or do it in more detail. set yourself up a small project for the major areas: modelling, lighting, and materials, (and animation if you want).

use the help section, it is pretty good, and has example photo's and images.

Jul 18, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

I would definetly agree that just using the program is the best way to learn it... i would find some online tutorials, get the basics, and then just use it, maybe make some models of past work you've done... studio projects or work stuff, just to get the hang of it with no pressure

Jul 18, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
edgararq

Thanks for your response, pardon for my mistake.

I'd like to have other opinions

Jul 19, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

pay me $20 an hour, i'll show you everything you need to know.

Jul 19, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

it only took me a week to learn it, luckily i was around people that knew it, but the help menu works fine, just keep doing it

Jul 19, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

start with simple projects, practice practice practice

Jul 19, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
edgararq

I know something on 3ds max, I’ve practised with the help. I want to be an expert, but I hate learning by essay and error

I become expert in autocad through a book, I like to learn with books, besides, it’s cheaper.

Jul 19, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: