Archinect
anchor

Archinect's Robots

Medit

can someone from Archinect or any other romanesque/gothic/neoclassical enthusiast tell me from which churches/cathedrals are these ground floors (both the male and the female robots)?

I'll be just wondering if I'm wearing an all-italian archi-devoted t-shirt, or if there's a multi-european-nationalisms represented -through architecture- on my chest...

the male:

the female:

I suspect both heads are italian, but I could very well be absolutely wrong.. it's been a long time since I read something about churches and cathedrals, but these t-shirts have weaken up my historical appetite.. which brings me to another question for you the historical-arch wise: what are the best books out there depicting a whole picture of the european medieval and renaissance religious architecture? .. not a tourist guide but books with some depth and academical analysis?

thanks in advance!

May 23, 05 8:59 am
barbaric

off the top of my head (guessing):
the male:
head: san vitale, ravenna
shoulders: palladio villas?
body: old St.Peter's

female: (much tougher!)
legs: notre dame, Paris

I'm sure it's more european than italian-only......

May 23, 05 9:09 am  · 
 · 

fun...a quiz

May 23, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Don't know what the male body is, but it isn't exactly Old St. Peter's (which had two sets of side isles).
The female shoulders and chest is the Palace of Versailles.
The male lower legs looks like San Lorenzo, Florence.
The lower female torso is maybe from the Alhambra?
The right arm of the male looks English, and the left male arm looks French.
The female head may be Ismalic?

May 23, 05 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

The female head is Islamic? (for some reason Ismael got mixed up in there.)

May 23, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

The right male arm is Canterbury Cathedral.

May 23, 05 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

male robot surrendering to fbi agents in miami. shirt is tucked in.. link

May 23, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

his head looks like tintin.

May 23, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

male legs: san lorenzo (florence)
female legs: notre dame ?

May 23, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

ok, thanks to all.. I've googled your answers..:

Barbaric and CalebRichers got right the female's legs:
Notre Dame's Cathedral (1163-1345), in Paris (France):

here's the plan...
www.cathedraledeparis.com/

Barbaric also got right the male's shoulders:
Palladio's Villa Rotonda (1567-1570), in Venice (Italy):

here's the plan...
www.cisapalladio.org/veneto/schedae.asp?Numeroscheda=67

And Barbaric also got right the male's head:
San Vitale (526-547), in Ravenna (Italy):

here's the plan...
loki.stockton.edu/~fergusoc/lesson4/jump5.htm

I guess both Barbaric and Rita were talking about Old St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican for the male's body.. but, as Rita pointed out, it is not.. the robot is thinner:

Rita got the male's right arm right:
Canterbury Cathedral (1070-1500), in Kent (UK):

here's the plan...
www.canterbury-cathedral.org/

Rita also got right the female's shoulders and chest:
Palais de Versailles (1623-1678), near Paris (France):

here's the general plan with the gardens..,
and here's the detail
www.chateauversailles.fr/

but Rita failed with the female's hips, which aren't the Alhambra:

both Rita and CalebRichers got the male lower legs right:
San Lorenzo Church (1421-1440), in Florence (Italy):

here's the plan...
www.sanlorenzo.firenze.it/

seems that both creatures' bodies cover the whole european geography pretty well .. I hope there's one german, spanish or catalan-occitan church or cathedral among the 6 ones still unresolved:

Male's upper legs (those thick walls may be my catalan-occitan romanesque last hope)
Male's body (this one looks pretty primitive..)
Male's left arm (some spanish/french cathedral?)
Female's head (I'm very curious about this one, could be some italian renaissance temple?)
Female's both arms (this one also seem very old)
Female's hips/torso (what is that? a patio? Rita's spanish bid (with some muslim influence, therefore southern Spain) makes sense... but who knows?)

thanks again!

May 23, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

male's body: Fulda Abbey Church, (Germany)
male's left arm: Speyer Cathedral, (Germany)
male's upper legs: Pantanassa basilica, (Greece)

female's arms: basilica of San Franesco, (Assisi, Italy)

i am clueless in identifying the female's head and torso. I am really interested in finding out what they are.

May 23, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

How about we go through a process of elimination? The female head is not like 90% of chruches already, and I can almost say for certain it is not in italy (S. Ivo alla Sapienza, Santo Stefano Rotondo and the Pantheon are the closest examples). Byzantine/turkish?

the female torso, like it was pointed out, could be moorish/hispanic. it almost looks like a caravanserai with a facade. Difficult, it could be anything, even a private villa.....

Male torso is a German church? I almost was going to say Villa Adriana, but that would have made him much thinner!

anyone bought the shirts? I plan on getting the male one cos it gave me less of a hard time!

May 24, 05 5:19 am  · 
 · 
juan moment

i was wrong about the Pantanassa basilica.

the male's upper legs are actually the Bodrum Camii Church, c, 920 (Istanbul).

May 24, 05 5:30 am  · 
 · 
Medit

great! Juan got four right...:

the male's body:
Fulda Abbey Church (791-821, destroyed), in Fulda (Länder of Hesse, Germany):

here's the plan...
www.uky.edu/Classes/A-H/323/restricted/pitches/Fuldapitch.htm

the male's left arm:
Speyer Cathedral (1030-1061), in Speyer (Länder of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany):

here's the plan...
www.speyer.de/de/tourist/sehenswert/dom?switch_language=en

the male's upper legs (the plan I found isn't identified as the Pantanassa monastery, but the upper legs quite look like a typical athenian byzantine church... and I'm not sure the photo corresponds to this plan either..):
(?) Pantanassa basilica (1428), in Mystras (Greece):

here's the plan...

ok, Juan's second guess on the male's upper legs seems the right one:
Bodrum Mosque (Bodrum Camii) (920), in Istanbul (Turkey):

here's the plan...
www.patriarchate.org/ecumenical_patriarchate/chapter_4/html/myrelaion.html

the female's arms:
upper church plan of the San Francesco Basilica (1228-1230), in Assisi (Italy):

here's the plan...
www.sanfrancescoassisi.org/

ok, just 2 left.. the most intriguing ones: what's the big mystery behind a woman's head and a woman's torso? .. kinda difficult to discover.. just like in real life ;) .. :

May 24, 05 7:22 am  · 
 · 
Medit

no one really knows what that female polygonal head comes from? or that squared torso? .. c'mon.. someone has to know that!

May 25, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

head looks like a baptistry of some kind, but the only thing i can compare the walls to is renaissance / baroque city fortifications.

May 25, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

MEDIT-bravo!

May 25, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

Sorry Medit, but my grey cells are maxed out! I'll need to use outside sources such as friends, books, and internet to solve the puzzle.... Which is very irritating actually! Dare I say my day feels incomplete because of this puzzle?

I'm sure some of the archinect editors would know, as it is their shirt they're selling, even if it was done by an outside artist. What I'm saying is if I were selling these shirts I'd surely want to check and know what structures are depicted, if only to look very smart to non-architects!

;)

May 26, 05 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Medit

oh well.. I've already visited the designer's site: www.ghava.com/ but didn't find any additional info about the t-shirts...

but its ok... at least I know they are not all italian... seems like a collective euro-compilation... which makes them cooler...

maybe I should put on the female robot t-shirt and travel all (southern) Europe.. see if someone somewhere recognizes her head & torso... xD

anyway.. thanks all again.

May 26, 05 10:33 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

are we absolutely sure that fulda abbey and bodrum mosque
are correct? in looking at the plans there are some slight
differences...

bodrum - the plan on the t has a fairly continuous wall
on the one side..versus the plan shown.

fulda - the altar is completely different..and the entry is
fairly disimilar...there are circular stairs shown on one..
not on the other etc. also the aisles are closed off by
walls on one and not the other...

i'm goin home later to look through all my books cause
now i just have to know about the last two.

May 26, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I don't know about the Bodrum mosque Lars.., but the Fulda plan seems to fit in... I think that some of the plans I found are simplified, and the ones used for the robots have some parts cut off.. also, the male's right arm (Canterbury) is flipped horizontally..

here's another Fulda plan where the altar looks more like the one of the robot (though not exactly identical)..:
www.courses.psu.edu/art_h/art_h302_cxz3/partii.html

here's the robot's (fancy) graphic travel-diaries..:

since they seem to have been travelling mostly across the old Western Europe (with a special predilection for Italy), the theory of the female's torso being spanish would make (even more) sense... on the other hand, maybe the female's head is a curiosity from Eastern Europe.. maybe Moscow? Polland? Czech Republic? .. I don't know.. I'm not familiar with the religious arch from those zones...

May 26, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
evangelicalbunny

Dear Friends,

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your efforts in promoting the discourse of the beautiful architecture of churches here in this thread. I am grateful. It is obvious that these beautiful buildings of God are revered the entire world over and beyond and it makes me wonder, why don't we buld like this anymore? And although I love the gothic church style, I don't necessarily mean why don't we build churches that look like this, but rather why don't pure our hearts and souls into something that is more important that our ownselves? Some of these churches took generations to build and yet today we can't fathom building anything that last more than a few years?

These great churches that we all admire are the result of all the love of the people poring into them. People sharing money and effort for something more important than themselves. Why can't we do that?

It's a difficult question, but nonetheless, I am grateful for the sincererity of this thread. It actually makes my nerves quiver with excitement and energy just knowing that Jesus fills the effort of everyone of you adding you insight here. I wish that I could write more on this...but I think that I need a moment to myself...

With Love!

eb

May 27, 05 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Medit

Well, I'm glad you like it eb, but all I want to know is from where these ground floors come from... my interest is purely architectonic... And though you're right in that my interest is sincere, I've got to tell you that there's no Jesus involved here: I'm an agnostic (actually, learning how to become an atheist)..

I just love these structures (even the "tectonics" one may say, if we have already understood what this word exactly means -> check out the correspondant topic), but I couldn't care less if they are devoted to your Jesus or to the King of Ghana, or if they are rehabilitated into public libraries, coffee shops or Hard Rock Cafes.., let's keep this topic "on topic" and keep the christianity issues strictly in your other Jesus-devoted topic about "your" Savior... this is merely about architecture and structures (and ultimately, about geography).

All I want to know is what the hell are that head and that sexy torso ... I neeeed to know... lol!

May 27, 05 3:25 am  · 
 · 

I never knew that the original(?) Fulda Abbey Church was such a close reenactment of the original St. Peter's. And now I'm wondering how much the Catherdral at Speyer reenacts the original "Constantinian" double basilica at Trier. [Treves, today's Trier, was Constantine's imperial capital of choice before Constantinople.] Could it be that Romanesque might just really be "Trieresque"?

May 27, 05 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Medit

female head/torso anyone? .. c'mon, this is the best arch forum on the net.. someone has to know .. just two pieces left, I'll keep insisting -Per style- 'til the puzzle is successfully solved...

Jun 3, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

I'd like a robot to make my models for me, and to do measured surveys esp when its 100%%d outside

Jul 11, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

pour me some absinthe and cut off my ear... then the t shirt shall make centuries worth of success.

Jul 11, 05 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Silent Disapproval Robot

you bastards leave my girl alone!

Jul 12, 05 12:27 am  · 
 · 
bothands

Excuse me, step aside:

The female torso is the Ulugh Beg madrasa (as opposed to mosque) on the Registan at Samarkand -- classic Islamic architecture from 1417 or thereabouts.

I hope to post shortly with the head ID'd...

Jul 12, 05 12:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: