Archinect
anchor

need help w/viz 4 !

adkgrl

running viz 4 on new laptop w/win xp with service pack 2. this is a compaq athalon computer with lots of ram
but the program keeps freezing up everytime i go to open a file
is this an xp thing? help!!!

May 20, 05 1:21 pm
Luis Fraguada

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch? Did you get any errors while installing the software? Is the software "yours?"

May 20, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

yea the software is mine and i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. installed photoshop and acad 2005 with no problems. the only problem is viz ..which is a problem
before it wouldnt take the authorization code, but i used portable license utility and got it to work.
the thing renders and draws but when i go to reload a file in the link manager or open another file thru the software it locks up
driving me bonkersss!

May 20, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

are you trying to open two files at once? if I recal, viz, and max in general only allow you to have one file open per instance of the program. you can have two instances of max/viz running with two different files. But maybe your machine is not up to it? I dunno, sounds weird.

May 20, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

try to clean up the linked file as much as possible, and turn off snaps, it might help

May 20, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

nah just one at a time
if i dont open viz and then click on the file it will open
but i can't open anything through viz itself
i was wondering if this is an xp thing?

May 20, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

Hi,

I have no experience with VIZ whatsoever, but I did peak at the Autodesk KnowledgeBase (and seeing that you've posted on the Autodesk discussion groups too, I guess you know this stuff already):
There is a patch for SP2 avail - Have you tried it and all the other patches released?
It does say that VIZ is not supported on any version of XP, but does it work under SP1 (maybe you can try and install it on a friend's machine)?

Could anybody else here confirm that they are running VIZ 4 successfully under SP2?

Other than that I'm shocked to see that Autodesk deosn't even have a bug report page for their products. So much for customer feedback...

May 20, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

yea i even tried callin tech support through them and they couldnt help me out
i'll try the sp1...i tried 2
alli can think of is it must be how it is reacting to windows cause even autocad 2005 works fine as well as photoshop

yea i was hoping that someone might have posted a similar problem
the only program i can't get loaded on a new machine!

thanks for u r help..much appreciated!

May 20, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

Just a thought. You say it 'freezes' in the original post. I think elsewhere you say that it crashes. So does the app actually just close down (crash) or does the gui just lockup (freeze)?
In case it crashes, is there some sort of crash log for VIZ (check the manual) or does the Windows sys log tell you anything?
Does the rest of the OS hang as well or is it just the app (maybe check the sys monitor to see if the CPU has gone into overdrive).

Ok, I'm stabbing in the dark. The main thing is to kind of be sensible and see what works and what doesn't and then try and find a solution from there. Since they are providing a patch for SP2, I'd be surprised if this is something they would've missed - sounds like this is a pretty basic operation.

May 20, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

What kind of file are you linking to (type/app)?

May 20, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

yea i guess it freezes..meaning doesnt shut down completely.
i was linking to autocad, but i didn't even get far enough to pick a file
it happened when i was trying to pick a file

May 20, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

Well, for what it's worth:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?id=3134042&linkID=982821&siteID=123112
But I take it that this isn't the problem you might be having?

May 20, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

i tried uninstalling then reinstalling
it still freezes up when opening a file
could it be the hotfix? somehow i think this is a windows xp thing

May 21, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
magic_pie

try www.helponthe.net
very useful for this kinda stuff.

May 22, 05 8:06 am  · 
 · 
Brim

Viz4 was loaded with bugs. Try a newer (Viz2005?) version or reformat your computer with a fresh re-install of Viz.

May 22, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
adkgrl

yea i tried reinstallation like 5 times and each time it freezes when opening and now also with saving

i think i am forced to upgrade viz :S

thanks for the help!

May 22, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson

Your linked autocad 2005 files are AutoCAD 2004 Drawing format or AutoCAD 2000/LT 2000 drawing format ?

Maybe Viz4 has problems with 2004 Drawing file format.

May 22, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

i resaved them as acad 2000 cause i read the newer types weren't supported. it seems to have problems trying to open or saves files..which makes me think it's a windows problem..i have the latest xp w/sp2..i wonder if there is something in it that doesnt like viz 4..i tried a clean reinstallation and no luck same exact problems

May 22, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson
try this

support for P4 >2.2 GHz in SP2

May 22, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson

maybe you need service pack for Viz4, not only for windows ;)

May 22, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

YEA no kidding..i downloaded all the fixes for viz 4
no luck
damn u windows!

May 22, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
henrik

I think at this stage you've pretty much tried eveything in terms of what Autodesk ask you to.
As nobody seems forthcoming here about what kind of setups they have it working under, I think you're just gonna have to try and install on some other systems (on a win2K, win XP SP1, another win XP SP 2 system) and see what you get. Just go and bug some friends if it's important enough to you. That's what I would do...
More advanced stuff...I'm not very windows centric, but it should be possible to run the app through some debugger and possibly get a better picture of where it's stalling. Again, don't know the app either, but it's worth looking at if it supports any kind of troubleshooting mode. Also, check if it writes a log anywhere on the system.

May 22, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
adkgrl

yea autodesk claims viz 4 does not work on xp, however i have installed it in the past...but on older xp systems so i think maybe this newer one doesnt jive. bummah. time to upgrade viz.

May 23, 05 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: