Archinect
anchor

html editor

stainB

can anyone recommend a good html editor?
i'm editing my website on dreamweaverMX.
It looks fine on IE but all gone pete tong (very wrong) on firefox
help!

May 18, 05 7:19 am
a-f

Are you doing plain HTML or DHTML/Javascript? This might also be a reason why firefox messes it all up, since the standards (unfortunately) are completely different.

May 18, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
stainB

that sucks. the webpage are all coded in html/javascript...
i can go into each page individually to update the code,
but there must be a better way in the future...

does anyone know the percentage of non IE user?

May 18, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 
a-f

You can perhaps use a temporary browser sniffer until you've made a 100% compatible code.

May 18, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Have you tried learning php to make webpages? Great for updating pages. Though, I have had little issues with html/javascript showing up differently in Firefox and IE.

May 18, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
stainB

thx for the suggestion...

i've created all my pages using templetes (in dreamweaver)...

my webpages are quite straight forward,
isn't php for more database driven websites?

May 18, 05 10:27 am  · 
 · 
ahr ki tehkt

homesite is pretty much the best html editor out there.

May 18, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

Can you post examples of the problems you're having.. (or the site, so I can see what it looks like in both browsers..) I think it's more likely a IE issue than a firefox one, since the compliance problems are on the IE side, not FF. Unfortunately, lots of people still use IE, although, I have no idea why..

May 18, 05 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

If it's a layout issue maybe this would help. For an example for the different DOM implementations (through which you access the properties of a document via JavaScript), see this tutorial.

May 18, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

hey pencrush, i've PM you... check your mail box. thx

May 18, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

noteapad

free. simple. versatile...

May 18, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

yeah, it's definitely broken on FF. I'm not sure what is breaking it in FF, I haven't had time to look at the code that closely. On first glance, everything seems to be okay.. Sorry I can't be more help right now.

May 18, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

why walk when you can run?

i started my first webpage using notepad. it's painful for even minor updates...

May 18, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

actually I just looked at it again, and the only section that is broken (i think) is the "works" section. Arguably the most important section, but considering the other sections seem to be functioning properly, it may just be a syntax error somewhere..

May 18, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

thanks pencrush. actually none of the tables is behaving as it should...

i'll have a revisit of the html later.

will keep you updated.

May 18, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: