Archinect
anchor

Perf. Metal Ceiling?

Jefferson

Do y'all know of a type of perf. metal panel that is available through a place like Home Depot or Lowe's?? (something not too costly)

May 17, 05 4:48 pm
Tectonic

Perforated metal ceilings are concidered specialty ceilings. You will not find them at your local hardware stores. There are panels on the lower end of the spectrum but don't expect to save any money. Let me know if you need any further help.

May 17, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

maybe a company will give me a 6'X10' sample? wacka wacka :p

May 17, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

No such luck. Even to get 6"x6" samples of this stuff is a pain in the ass; and that's from any manufacturer. Is that how much of an area you are looking at (6'x10')?

May 17, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
ether

all you can do is ask. if there is a distributor close by, stop in to talk to someone (as opposed to just calling).

May 17, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Pete Dawson

I actually got an entire box of 2X2 panels as a sample for a project once.....about 40 square feet. So you could give that a try.

May 17, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Well if you are going that road, than concider this. Find a place which will be demolished and has a metal ceiling and ask for it before it gets torn down.

May 17, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Pete,

How big was this project?

May 17, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i've also seen construction companies use the stuff as a barrier between sidewalk/street traffic and the building site - big sheets of it. maybe you could try that option as well.

May 17, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Armstrong makes fairly inexpensive perforated metal acoustical ceilings and they'll send samples to pretty much anyone who identifies themselves as someone who specifies their products (architect, builder, interior designer, etc.) If you're having trouble getting samples then either make up a "company name" for yourself or (if you're a student) tell them it's for a school project and have it shipped to your school address (though I doubt you'll get the 6'x10' worth unless you can convince them they're donating it to some school project or something.)

May 17, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

What are you using it for?

May 17, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

If you want a semi-transparent panel to put into a t-bar ceiling, we use expanded metal mesh (like stucco lathe). It doesn't cost much... also looks cool.

May 17, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
jkarch

go straight to the suppliers such as McNichols or H&K perforated metals They both have websites.

May 17, 05 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: