Archinect
anchor

Getting two March degrees

stillframe

Does anyone do this? Get an MArch 1, let's say from a less reputable, cheeper school and then go out and get a second MArch from a more reputable school?

May 17, 05 1:15 am
Tim DeCoster

My off the cuff initial thought:

Why would you do this? If you really want to go back for another round of debt, consider a phd, or at least a master's degree in something related to archi-torture so that you can be specialized in your area of interest.

May 17, 05 11:01 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

good call tim. definitely.

May 17, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ericharch

That sounds insane. Work for a few years after your first MArch... then reconsider your career path... if you are gonna spend the money, you may find it to be more benificial to get an MBA from a good school, for example. This way you can open up doors to move into related architectural fields that are higher paying such as development and real estate.

May 17, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yup, insane. If you can get into a good school, then do it. If it requires taking time off to do good work, then do it. But if not, then just go where you can.
I assume you don't have much architecture work? Remember, it's not just hard work that will get you into a good school (ie good grades does not necessarily mean you will get in, and working hard does not mean you'll get good grades).

It's not worth it. If you are good (as in talented) and a hard worker, just go to the good school in the first place. If not, just working on getting better where you are. Any grad school is going to be what you make of it.

May 17, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
polipop

could be interesting getting two March, but i agree with ericharch, maybe it's good to work for a few years after the first one, and then decide what to do with your life. two in a row... you are not going to get much of them. step by step...

May 17, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
ether

identical degrees from two different schools? i've never heard of such nonsense...

May 17, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I doubt that they would let you.

May 17, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I heard that there is atleast one person in M.Arch1 at the GSD who did that (somehow hid it I guess) and apparently there are 2 people who have B.Arch equivilants who wanted to do the M.ARch1 for "core experience". I heard that they really, REALLY regret doing so now.

May 17, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

I would guess only if they come from one of the schools calling thier B.Arch a M.Arch and then goin for the real thing.
If I ever win the lottery i might try it, always wanted to go and rack up a bunch of diffent degrees in various subjects.

May 17, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
dm_v

pip,
just go to sci-arc. it's expensive but not outrageously so.

May 17, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If you're dying to get a second master's, get it in something else that would complement an architectural background, but expand on it, such as:

-urban planning
-real estate development
-landscape architecture
-business
-law
-fine arts

I actually do know of someone who was planning to do a second MArch years ago, but don't know if he ever did. I doubt it, though... he was a pretty smart guy.

May 17, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

there are some schools that have m archs with those designation, i.e. m. arch in real estate development (post prof., 1 year).

May 17, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
polipop

there are tons of March, not all of them are identical... so actually, as long as you're interested, it could be perfectly possible --first you win the lottery...--

May 17, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

a colleague did two MArch degrees at differet schools not so long ago. He had a scholarship for the second one at a world class school, so why not? Worked for him and he is doing incredibly well as a result. Better than most architects his age in fact, although he is brilliant to start with. It seems he devoted the second degree to pure theoretical work and was able to promote himself well in a place that was not only receptive but connected like hell. So yeah if you have a plan and some idea of where the education might take you, sure it can be a good idea to do it twice. The naysayers above are clearly not the type to think laterally, their loss.

May 17, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"The naysayers above are clearly not the type to think laterally, their loss." Way to generalize, Jump...

Look carefully. Some of the "naysayers" aren't saying "nay," but merely "think about other options." Jump's example --"brilliant to start with"-- may have done just fine spending his brilliant time getting a second MArch. And that's great. A second pop to do a special focus is a good thing. But if we're talking about maximizing the chances for learning and employment for *most* people--not the occasional savant--then a degree in a different but related field is probably going to make more sense. If somebody else is paying for the second MArch, that's a different story. But if our friend Pip is footing the bill him/herself, then branching out a bit might be better.

May 17, 05 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
stillframe

Yes, I am footing the bill. The reason I posted this question to begin with is someone suggested it on another thread, that I could go to a cheeper school for March 1, and then do a one year March at a name school. I was wondering if that was something to consider.
I can't get my mind around taking out $100,000 in studen loans. I have no clue anymore. atown, I appreciate the suggestion about sci arc--You are not alone there.
I just can't wait till the decision is over and I can breath.

May 17, 05 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

I have been considering the possibility of the second MArch as well. I already have a professional BArch and will be attending an Graduate school in the Fall. I was accepted to a number of very good schools, many with nice scholorships and one with a full ride. I opted, however , for the school that i feel fit my interests the most at this time...despite the fact that at this point i have no scholorships at this chosen school. The program is a 2 year and not and MArch per se.

While i am extremely excited and happy with my decision it has somewhat bothered me that I have not taken the route I had always imagined (going to a big name school and getting in witha hot shot architect/prof)...but i feel that if i dont get that out of the school i've chosen and i feel i steill need that i could go back an attempt to get accepted to another 1 year program...Hopefully with another nice financial packages.

If i would have chosen one of the more recognized/big name schools i could have seen myself getting the exposure to the firms i would have liked but not necessarily learning what i wanted to learn while in graduate school. Perhaps only touching upon it. But having the opportunity, post grad, to work for these people would seriosly dter me from ever going back to school to learn what i feel i didnt get at those schools (especially if it meant going back for another 2 years).
On the other hand I can see myself after the next 2 years going to get another 1 year degree if i feel i needed the design or "contact" exposure.

I could go for a Doctorate but i dont know if i want to research for years. I would rather design. Plus, from what i understand Doctoral students are mainly in contact with theory driven profs that dont necessarily have there own practices...I could be wrong.

I did meet someone recectly at an open house who had been accpted to the MArch2 program having a masters already froma midwest school and who has been teachingfor a number of years already. He held the same opinion as me about not wanting to research while in school and would rather increase his design skills.

May 18, 05 9:01 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Though a bit vague, Monkeyboy's post illustrates that there's nothing wrong with doing a second MArch --IF it's part of a personal strategy for specific educational goals. (Also, forget the doctorate unless you want to do extended, focused research... it is not about design.)

Pip's original question seemed to ask if there's anything wrong IN GENERAL with two MArch's. The answer is no. But if one's doing it for the resume' more than the experience, it seems more wasteful than a second master's in planning or real estate, etc. I doubt that most potential employers will be that much more impressed by the second MArch to warrant the cost.

May 18, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
symmetry

probably going to take similar route here. The cost will be bearable if taking the first March for free (pretty much) and go for 30 thou a year at a name school.

May 19, 05 12:17 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

pip: why don't you try Doctor of Design at GSD after MArch1? It's in between PhD and MArch degree.

May 19, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
geno

or how about teaching somewhere.
that way you get paid to be in school and have summers off.

May 19, 05 2:39 am  · 
 · 
stillframe

Teaching sounds good, but at this point I don't really have anything to offer. I don't start my degree til the fall. But how would I go about that?

The Doctor of Design looks good, maybe when I finish my MArch 1 I can do that. I guess right now looking at 6 more years seems a little overwelming. Someone had mentioned doing a second MArch that would take a year. If that exists.

May 19, 05 4:09 am  · 
 · 
polipop

yes, that exists.

May 19, 05 4:40 am  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

there are many 1 year post professional MArch programs out there. UCLA, Harvard, and COlumbia to name 3.

May 19, 05 10:14 am  · 
 · 
citizen

For anyone interested in the Doctor of Design program at GSD, a listing of theses with links to abstracts:

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/academic/asp/ddes/thesis_titles.html

May 19, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: