Archinect
anchor

What Was She Thinking???

vado retro

Dwell Magazine June issue page 142? is that a star trek uni or what???

May 15, 05 7:12 pm
driftwood

I hadn't noticed...

She's hot in all the other pictures though! And she watches "Blade Runner!!" And has an adorable little floss dispenser. He's so cute!!

Great... Now I'm going to spend hours trying to analyze the material objects collected about her....

May 16, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 
juan moment

Notice how it exacly matches the color palette of the bathroom. I have no doubt she most likely chose, if not designed the dress herself, with this in mind. She is very fashion conscious. She even changed her clothes for each photo.

And sorry driftwood, it seems that she's already taken. Notice the two matching red pairs of slippers by her bed.

May 16, 05 12:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Changing your outfit to match your decor is one thing, changing it for every photo in a magazine shoot seems, to me, a little self-centerd. But that's really a Dwell hook, isn't it - the appearance of inhabitation in the photos, like the reason to make beautiful, personal spaces is so you can hang out in them looking fabulous. Wish my life were that leisurely!

As an addendum to this thread, I'm interested in the notion of discussing here what we see in the monthly achitecture press. For example, in that same issue of Dwell, page 96: the Swiss-Mex kitchen - snappy, fearless use of client's personal material culture, or hideous collapsed-souffle-like mess? I'm leaning toward the latter. Maybe it's the strong verticals between the cabinets that for me are reading like a crappy stucco strip mall - a straight horizontal line of the dark wood cabinets might have been more calming under those noisy tiles (which I love by the way - just questioning this installation of them).

As the article says, this project was a very difficult challenge. I appreciate the attempt to reconcile the very personal request and taste of the client, but I'm not sure I would have chosen this project for publicatiuon were it my own. Except it does show a boldness on the part of aardvarchitecture that I'm not sure I have. I'm not trying to be snarky about it, but it is a project that really has me flummoxed and some discussion might help.

May 16, 05 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: