Archinect
anchor

its getting HOT in here!!

ElTomas

hola-

summer is around the corner in texas... its getting really hot, really quick... problem is.. im in a loft and the windows are enormous, and they only have single pane glass in them and im really not trying to run the AC all day long...
ideas on some sort of window covering that will cut down on the heat in here would be great. $$ is an issue so cheap materials should be kept in mind, and also would probably care to install it myself, so ease of assembly would be nice..

muchas gracias

May 12, 05 5:35 pm
polipop

hola!

puedes probar con unas cortinas de lamas orientables. las puedes instalar tú mismo, suele ser bastante sencillo. por ponerte un ejemplo, algo así como las que pusieron en la parte superior de los vidrios del crown hall de mies.

May 12, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
speechless

May 12, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

tin foil

May 12, 05 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

big lazy fabric curtains: cut up pieces in [white, or insert color here______] and sew together patchwork style - large triangles. Tab top style hangars.
Hang from copper pipe with custom designed (by yourself) ends and brackets, of various metals.

May 12, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

so, take off all your clothes.

May 12, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

my office uses this reflective (like a mirror) plastic mylar, mirror side out. (sepia-like tone on the inside) it also dims the glare.

May 13, 05 12:09 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

so if i use some sort of film, does anyone recommend a brand, or maybe where to buy it? i was thinking of some sort of tint.. do you guys think that a roll of atuomobile window tint would work?

- Strawbeary

i allready did put up fabric, looks cool and keeps the brightness down, but i dont really think that it actually cuts down on the heat gain significantly.. sounds like you had fun designing the hardware for the curtains.. i just used 1/8" steel cable with eye bolts attached to the wall and a turnbuckle as a way to hang the fabric from..

-Pollipop

que son lamas orientables, y tambien trate de buscar una foto del edificio de mies, pero no pude encontrar una, si puedes poner me una aqui seria bueno.. gracias..

May 13, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Black spray paint over glass, then covered with cardboard, then blacklight posters.

When winter comes round again you can strip it down to the black window and scratch out some cool designs for light to shine through.

May 13, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
polipop

ElTomas-

Te buscaré una foto chula del crown hall, dame un par de días. las lamas orientables son unas cortinas que se fabrican en distintos materiales, las hay en PVC, fibra de carbono, distintos tipos de plástico o incluso madera, y suelen ser bastante efectivas para paliar el calor. Las puedes orientar tú mismo según un mecanismo que se coloca al interior.

Siempre una imagen vale más que mil palabras, así que te busco foto, ok?

May 13, 05 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
polipop

ya he encontrado una foto aparente, te la mando por email porque no tengo sitio para subirla a intenet y luego ponerla en el foro. la pones tú luego?

May 14, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: