Archinect
anchor

music videos in urban setting: got any?

rls

I'm currently writing a paper about sound and the city, and I'm looking for any music videos which contain a certain characteristic: a singer (usualy staring directly into the camera) walking through a cityscape while he/she is oblivious to the surroundings of daily city life. I know I've seen several; I think Coldplay had one like this. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

May 11, 05 11:37 am
cracker

that "thank you" video where alanis morisette is walking around a city naked

May 11, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

one favorite would be Kylie Minugue's 'Come Into my World' by Michel Gondry - featuring a repeating loop of Kylie in an area of London, each loop adding a new set of characters, so by the end Kylie and the passerbys have multiplied by 4.

And of course there is the famous 'Bittersweet Symphony' by the Verve where the singer is walking down the street ignoring people and bumping shoulders... classic.

May 11, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

green day's when i come around (i think). interspersed with shots of stylized life in apartments, but also has the band walking down the sidewalk.

spike jones' video for pharcyde's drop. it's backwards. but it's so cool. but the city is an afterthought to the reverse thing.

beastie boys' intergalactic has scenes through a japanese city...

May 11, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
French

beat it
michael jackson

May 11, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

MJ- Bad (taking it down to the subway)
U2- where the streets have no name
Massive attack- (forgot the title)

mmm, and maybe a few rap artists?

May 11, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
rls

Thanks everyone,
I was definitely thinking of the "Bittersweet Symphony" video (its that ambivalance that I'm looking for), but many of the others are useful as well. Not a fan but that Kylie minogue video was pretty good...I think Jacob Dylan did a similar video w/ Wallflowers?

May 11, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Akon-Ghetto
Pharsyde-Drop
Xzibit-Welcome to LA
Juvenile-Ha
DMX-Ruff Ryder Anthem
Nelly-Country Grammer

Not a video but might wanna check out Tap with Gregory Hines, has a scene where he explains the sounds of tap comin being inspired by the sounds of the city.

May 11, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
lush

Blink 182- whats my name again. Naked guys running through a crowded urban landscape...most entertaining!!

May 11, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
lush

sorry...thats 'whats my AGE again'

May 11, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
biomec

portishead-only you-surreal though

May 11, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
PeteyPablo

Check out 'Get By' by Talib Kweli....beautiful shots of Brooklyn..Dumbo...www.talibkweli.com

May 11, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

anybody seen my baby (angela jolie) -rolling stones

May 11, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

sorry, angelina jolie

May 11, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

and the best video of all time...

'miss you' by the rolling stones

May 11, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Jay Z - 99 Problems

May 11, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
drgonzo

doesn't that David Gray video for "Please Forgive Me" have him playing piano above a time-lapsed intersection?

May 11, 05 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
rayray
http://www.schneidertm.com

reality check

May 11, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: