Archinect
anchor

3ds Max materials

heterarch

har. and here i thought i was a pretty good modeler/renderer. :)
looking for a little advice with 3ds max 5 materials. how can you make a material render at the same scale on all objects? for instance, with brick, obviously, you want all the bricks to look the same size.
formz is so much easier to work with materials..

May 10, 05 11:38 am
Luis Fraguada

have you used the UVW Map Modifier? I believe you can use this to scale textures on objects.

May 10, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
ryan.keerns

I'm not sure if the interface is identical, as I use Viz 4 or Max 6, but select the object, go to the modify tab and select the UVW mapping modifier. Here, I always use the Box parameter. I then define the L/W/H to bring the material to the appropriate scale. Once that is defined, I use those numbers on all of the objects with that material.

May 10, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Yeah, the interface is similar enough. You can also apply the modifier to a group of objects and texture them that way, might save some time, might mess a lot of stuff up. Mess around with the modifier on a simple box or sphere to see the results.

May 10, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

thanks guys. i did know about the uvw map modifier but was hoping maybe there was some sort of global texture scale lock or something to that effect. didn't want to have to go to the trouble of uvw scaling each object individualy.. :) but unless someone knows of a more macro/global solution, i'll just keep uvw mapping them.
wisof: i hadn't know that you could do it multiple objects at once, which sort of helps, but also did screw up things a bit. :) but knowing that, i think i could plan ahead a little better next time to make use of that knowledge.
thanks again folks.

May 10, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

also use the mapscaler modifer button, it will uniformly scale materials to a set scale, but uvw has more play

May 10, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

mmm3: mmmmm yeah. :) that's what i'm talking about! magnum!
i've already gone through and done each object indiviudually with uvw, but i will definitely use that in the future. it wraps the texture as well. excellent.

May 10, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: