Archinect
anchor

material for modeling crazy shapes...

ScottMSchultz

So i have some gehry-esque forms in my most recent studio project and i need to find a material to model them in my physical model. I am drawing a blank as to what I can use for this task. Does anyone have any suggestions?

May 9, 05 6:10 pm
pencrush

There are a few ways you could do it.. You can essentially build it like gehry would a real building, make your curvy steel structure out of flat pieces of chipboard or balsa, make a 3-d grid, and cover it with flat "shingle" type pieces. It won't be totally smooth, but should get the form across, but will be a pain in the ass..

you could cast some sort of resin or plaster..

you could make an armature and cover it with wire or some sort of mesh..

really none of these are probably a perfect representation. You might want to do a combination, by doing a small casting of the overall form showing what the building would look like overall without much detail, and then a larger scale detail section showing how it might be constructed more realistically give more material definition but without building the whole thing..

just some ideas.

May 9, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

This wasn't a super crazy form, but it did have a somewhat compound curve that I made the model in the first method I described..

again, not perfect, but it might give you some ideas..

May 9, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

carve it or make a foam piece using 3d milling, then vaccum forming
ir you use high density foam, you could keep shaping it to make it smooth..
one could also use modeling clay the way industrial designers do

May 9, 05 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

3d honey-comb!

sorry, it's late at night and i could not resist the tentation.

May 9, 05 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hahhaha

May 9, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

if you have it as a 3D model already, you could give Lamina a try. I've never used it myself, but it seems as if it would be an appropriate tool.

May 9, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
biomec

ive been planning on using a structureal frming with some sort of metal wire and panty hoes. that would work

May 9, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

pixelwhore, do you know of anyone using Lamina? I have read through and it seems like it does what it says. I am very interested. Might buy an edu copy for the university to try out . . . guess I'd like to know if anyone has tried it.

May 9, 05 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Gehry actually uses carpet and a glue gun for working out the folds. There was a presentation on the model making for the Disney Concert Hall at the MOCA a little over a year ago. Quick and completely malleable.

May 9, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

try
http://www.mutr.co.uk/prodDetail.aspx?prodID=577

or even better:
http://www.mutr.co.uk/prodDetail.aspx?prodID=576

i'm sure you can find them in the states as well

May 9, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

bake plexi-glass and form it when its malleable, or use an electrician's heating gun for better accuracy. I think some of the older Ghery models I saw in a book were noted as being made from a heavy felt covered in some type of wax

May 9, 05 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira
Wonderflex

...seen a lot of this around the first year studios at the GSAP.
You can heated, scored in the laser cutter...ect.
Possibly your best bet.

May 10, 05 1:19 am  · 
 · 
e909

i said it before, and (etc)

don't use raw onions

May 10, 05 3:02 am  · 
 · 
e909
i could not resist the tentation

you turn into an octopus after midnight?

now i'm curious.
do werewolves wear glass slippers?

May 10, 05 3:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: