Archinect
anchor

Historical Preservation

freckleface

I'm thinking about getting a certificate in Historical Preservation. Does anyoone know what kind of jobs this will offer me? What can I expect work-wise?

May 9, 05 4:06 pm
clearlyambguous

freckleface...i wish i had an answer..i wish anyone would have answered, as I am wondering the same thing.

Sep 21, 09 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

It's a fairly good planning and architectural specialty... with decent pay.

If you like fantasyland, historic or even "ancient" architectural styles... then it might be up your alley.

From an architectural point of view, you would be looking at a lot of documentation, renovation and refurbishing work.

Sometimes, this work is often performed in the same manner it was created and sometimes it is finding acceptable alternatives. So you'd be doing a fair amount of studying whether or not a "historic" structure is safe and sound. You'd be doing a lot of facade work that can be tedious and sometimes impossible-- i.e., hunting down plaster molds and iron work molds from centuries past.

Renovation and refurbishing also require you to bring structures up to ADA standards while being stylistic-- i.e., how would a federalist architect have designed a wheelchair ramp? But it isn't limited to just ADA compliance. There's other things like adding plumbing and electrifying to old structures without compromising them too much.

[side note: this is why in the US bathrooms are known as bathrooms where as the UK, they're called water closets.]

From a planning and urban design perspective, much of the work requires a lot of legal framework, investigation and report making.

Often there will be a detached group or board that evaluates "historicness" in a special district. As a planner or urban designer, your job would be a middle man between residents and the board.

Another big role is the development of "pattern books." This basically means that you collect a series of data (pictures, architectural elements, block patterns, particular land uses et cetera) and prepare a book that a neighboor, city or historic preservation board goes by in planning special districts.

Urban designers go a little more in depth in deciding appropriate street furniture, layouts, landscaping and other nuances. Traditionally design streetscapes sharply constrast with more modern approaches to design. A big issue right now is reducing and eliminating glare cause by inappropriate lighting-- almost all traditional light fixtures violate the "new" lighting standards.

Planners go sometimes in depth in trip evaluation and road design. Some traditional streets are beautifully designed... some are 7 feet wide. There's also lots of action right now in the asphalt versus pavers arena about the appropriateness of maintain and keeping historic roads. So, part of the planning process in historic preservation is determining whether or not historic infrastructure can handle a modern load.

So, arguing with historic preservation board. Developing studies to find out whether a historic place is safe enough to be preserved. Guiding new development to "blend in" with existing building styles. Maintaining and improving streetscapes from sewer grates to horse posts to trees. Developing code frameworks for reference. Developing documentation to promote homogeneity.

That's a skimmed view off the top. Historic preservationists tend to make 10 grand more a year-- so planning and urban design, you'd be looking at 45-to-55 thousand a year american.

Sep 22, 09 12:30 am  · 
 · 
clearlyambguous

Thank you Orochi! I've been toying with applying to M.Arch or MS in Historic Preservation.....but my heart is with one, and everyone else who is logical says I should go for the M.Arch. I've been volunteering doing some of what you listed above, and trying to stay involved in what I wan to do. My day job is to work in Corporate Architecture....

Your response gives me a huge idea of where I think I need to be. Thanks!!!!

Sep 22, 09 2:34 am  · 
 · 
Pixar

Hi freckleface,

8 years since your post, I'm exactly in the same dilemma as you were. My heart is with historic preservation, but career wise I'm not sure that's the path I want to follow.

I'd like to hear from you which Master's Degree you finally proceeded with and why?

Thanks 

Sep 12, 13 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: