Archinect
anchor

Maxwell

Hasselhoff

Whew, first off. Congrats to anyone who has just completed their first year (or soon will) in an M.Arch. What a nightmare.

Has anyone seen the soon to be released Maxwell Render for Rhino? It looks pretty sick! I got a link in my Bob McNeil email today(www.maxwellrender.com). Also, Brazil is soon to be released as well. I wonder if there will be a student discount on Maxwell. I mostly model in Rhino, then port over to Max for rendering. Flamingo is too slow for complex models and doesn't do a very good job. BUt when you port over, the models often get a bit messy. Anyone read up on either of these renderers? I'm wondering which will be the one to get.

May 7, 05 4:16 pm
trace™

Maxwell - insanely slow, although it's still in it's Beta stage. We'll see, some people think it'll come through, most don't. Speed is everything in this industry and a renderer that takes 5-10 times longer (that's about where it's at now) than the competition (Final Render, VRay, Brazil) won't work in most offices. It should be easier to setup though.

Brazil - proven and fast

May 7, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

maxwell is a physically accurate rendering engine, its closest thing to photography out there.. so, very few parameters to set and then take a picture.(then wait, and its much longer then a polaroid). camera has f-stop, and exposure controls..
but, if you don't like the picture there aren't many things that you can do, again because of few options. (and i mean few, when comparing to brazil or other renderers, i mean material has like 5-6 settings, but that's in alpha stage)
but if you want to tinker with myrriad of settings and have perfect control of every little detail, and spend hours getting it just like you want it.. then brazil is the choice.

May 7, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

This will be the big question: time spent waiting to render or time spend tweaking. I'd buy Maxwell if it was fast, as most of the time you want a nice image and I'd rather have my machines working instead of me!

BUT, and that's a big BUT, I also like control. There are times when I'll set the settings to the lowest (I use Final Render) and I can have an image that looks very good in minutes. In those cases, I don't want perfection or accuracy, I want a nice image that is done fast! This becomse a HUGE issue when you are rendering large - I just did one at 6000pxs, took fR about 2 hours with medium settings (simple exterior scene). That's pretty fast and it looked great.

I'll wait until the production version comes out, as well as the new versions of Final Render and VRay. For me, Brazil is too expensive because of licensing on renderfarms (and as of now, Maxwell is the most expensive, but all are MUCH cheaper than Mental Ray).

May 7, 05 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
TED

shit.

i thought we'd be talking about james maxwell, not talking some cad crap on saturday night. so disappointing.

doesnt anyone have anything better to talk about????

i am reading "Towards a thermodynamic theory for ecological systems" which mentions my maxwell -- very interesting.

anyone read it yet?

May 8, 05 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Saturn

L

May 9, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i prefer maxwell render :op i'm such a geek

May 9, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

Hasselhoff,

how are you transporting your Rhino models to Max? I've been using npower software's power translators for about 6 months now, and it works great. takes all your curved geometry over from rhino to max without a hitch, with all the layers intact.

what method do you use? IGES export/import?

May 10, 05 1:30 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

sorry, that was a bit off the topic...

May 10, 05 1:30 am  · 
 · 
cyphonics

TickerTocker,

Well since you changed the subject, I've gotta ask if npower restores the relation between nurb splines and the lofted surfaces (ex: if you pull the spline, the surface will change). I've been exporting as IGS from rhino and then into 3dsmax... but the surfaces are detached from the curves.

May 10, 05 6:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: