turbo

What happened at Jerde?

May 5, 05 3:31 pm
sameolddoctor

who cares

May 5, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
turbo

why even post if you don't care doc? have a nice one mate.

May 5, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
corbustier

heheh - good point turbs.

May 5, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

to tell you that no one really cares?

May 5, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

TURBO??? what u mean with what happened at JERDE?? a lot of stuff and projects happen over there, so be more specific, r they "spliting"??? or what u mean...its actually a stupid title and terrible question u made

May 5, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

okay...i meant no one cares about his question

the fact is that a friend who works there told me that they are hiring like crazy

May 5, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
turbo

they are hiring like crazy (as they are always due to the frequent turnover)...the question was raised because it has been known that many of the "old timers" have split into 3 (I believe) different offices and are operating on their own. in regards to mariano, the question was posed to those within the immediate community who have knowledge of this, perhaps (obvious) you are not one of them and thus the question was not addressed to you - but thank you for your eloquence.

May 5, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Several of the big honchos split, trying to take some staff with them. I think Jerde made his lawyer a partner or something and passed over people who'd been there forever. At least that's the rumor I heard.

And indeed they are hiring like crazy. It seems like most of recent Sci-arc grads are working there now.

May 5, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

can someone post a link to their site. i have never heard of them before.

May 5, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

here's the skinny on what happened 2-3 years back.

Jerde had started his firm alongwith 2 other architects(i will not name them since we work quite closely with these guys)...one of them was squarely responsible for bringing huge projects from japan, and later china when the US arch, market was at an all time low in the early 90s(?).
Now they have this guy who is a total dick who is partners with jerde. For some reason the big honcho liked him more and fired his ex-partners. They have their own offices now. I personally believe the quality of work at jerde's has gone down the drain after the split.
I am not very fond of his kind of work, but one has to give him credit for what his projects do in the urban context. But all that is slowly getting lost.

But this is 2-3 years back, i dont think any more 'split' has occured now.

May 5, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
turbo

jerde started his gig in the late 70's. the recent split occurred over the past month. the current "dick" (we all know who he/she is) has been there for years, he is not new to the firm. the top tier in talent has left as well as has the most adventurous clientele.

May 5, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

turbo, let me reiterate...the split i was talking about, where the original partners went away happened 2-3 years back. There is no question about it, since I have interacted with the old partners almost every day a while back.
But i do remember there were some senior architects who might have left because of the same 'dick', but the partners also left because of him and his anal retentive character.

May 5, 05 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
free

I can tell you guys actually what really happened. I was EXTREMELY close to it. In the past 8 months or so most of the senior V.P.s including 5 of the 7 principal designers have quit, nobody was fired. The dick you mention was brought in because he convinced Jerde that he could fix the company. All this did was cause a 2nd wave.

The split occured because many had been there over 20 years and wanted the natural evolution of ownership. There was negoitation and in the end a satisfactory agreement could not be reached. This negoitation lasted for about 3 years and the split had to happen.

3 new firms have been formed, 2 people went out on their own and a group of 5 stuck together. They are doing very well and are currently up to 23 people.

Oct 12, 05 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
hbb

What are the names of these 3 new firms, and are they LA based?

Oct 13, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
grasshoppr81

One of the new firms is

http://www.5designinc.com/

Oct 15, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer
Recent discussion
Oct 15, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: