Archinect
anchor

breakbeat fans

for a long time i've been listening to radio streams on the internet (ravetrax, breaksfm, somafm, afterhoursdj, radio1, sonic radio, etc etc) and have been able to avoid buying any new cds. unfortunately i'm unable to listen to streaming music anymore (at work) and my cd library needs some major overhauling.

i've got some music i really like but unfortunately am getting tired of it fast. i've enjoyed a lot of the 'darker' breakbeat stuff - adam freeland's techtonics, voodoo but don't know where to look for similar stuff.. there is so much electronica out there that is just plain terrible. i'm also a fan of icey, baby anne, dave london (some orlando breaks stuff), simply jeff etc.

any breakbeat fans out there wanna give me some people to try? thanks!

May 5, 05 3:25 pm
Jrocc

You talkin about techno stuff?

Arnt breaks usualy the beat behind a hook or insturmental solo, like old jazz and funk stuff?

Might not be what your looking for but the Breakestra is an awsome 9 piece inturmental band that plays old breaks and funk. Check out The Live Mix Tape vosl 1&2 or Dj Miles - Funky Sole.

May 5, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

dark breakbeats... you might try Tsuyoshi Suzuki (album: Ecliptic).
i find stuff (techno-related music) by starting with artists i know, then going to www.discogs.com and finding their listing. that'll show you pretty much everything they've released, every different name they've recorded/produced under, and all the people the other artists they've collaborated with. which usually leads to similar-but-different sounds.
or... what you could do, is try a techno-centric file sharing system like soulseek: www.slsknet.org and ask around in the techno forums... or simply browse peoples file collections in the techno forums, folks often group their shared files by genre (techno, house, drum n bass, etc.)
if you like simply jeff, you might like Oscure, check out his stuff at:
http://www.labadj.com/special.htm (got DSL? it's like a 500+ mb video of a live dj set with fair audio quality).

May 6, 05 12:31 am  · 
 · 
burlap

fuel records - tipper/buckfunk 3000, si begg
dave clarke
horsepower productions - hatcha, kode9
forme kick
meat katie
steve bug
marine parade (freeland's label)
dig dug
jake mandell
rennie pilgrem
tayo
koma + bones

kid 606
hrvatski
venetian snares
drop the lime
donna summer/jason forrest

dexter
vitalic
mr velcro fastener
legowelt
drexciya
dynamix ii

uhhh... definitely soulseek, or good online record shop sites...

sick!

May 6, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
workingbeats

Yo guys...

For some prominent and independent breaks and techy stuff - you might wanna check our new label out.

www.workingbeats.com is a new independent label releasing digital material, and we also ship WAVS on CD. Give it a try....

Any artists wanna release on the site....

email: [email protected]

Hope this waws helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dave
http://www.workingbeats.com

Jul 11, 05 7:15 am  · 
 · 
ether

*bump*

Oct 1, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary
www.detroitluv.com

peep it out....practically a detroit music message board..... it's a tough forum to be nice in...everyone talks shit and will get on your case....but it's a good site to talk about shit/music/etc...

plus you get a weekly update on the partys/afterhour places that spin breaks/house/techno/hip hop/etc....

b

Oct 1, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I thought this was a thread for people who liked to actually eat food in the morning.

Oct 1, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Plump DJ's
Stanton Warriors
Bassbin Twins
Drumattic Twins
Evil Nine
Koma + Bones
Layo + Bushwacka!
Meat Katie
Rennie Pilgrem
Blim
Soul of Man

Oct 1, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.samurai.fm/artists/

peep that site..... some of the stuff you can dl the mixes.....

there a color bar system to let you know the type of music the artists spin......

dope as funk
aux 88

have some good stuff

b

Oct 1, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

I'm listening to Dieselboy live at Junglodium right now on iTunes:

link

Oct 1, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
ether

a few that i've come across lately...

Bomfunk MC's
Le Tone
Lamb
Mophono
Ming + FS
Deadbeats
Trs-80
Jel
Bill Laswell
Andy Hunter

and wtf is up with samuri? they've been offline for a week now...

Feb 7, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Anything on edbanger records. It's Jusitce, DJ Mehdi and the like. Totally six months ago, but surely also six months hence.

Feb 8, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 

Have you guys heard of Burial? Amazing, off kilter, underwater dubstep. Also very six months ago, but I'm late these days.

Feb 8, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I listen to destroyer.nets stream a lot...it kills...lots of good drum and bass etc...out of austin,tx...you can find it under electronic in the itunes radio section as well.

Feb 8, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
ether

765, i can't thank you enough for the post (a year late). i started listening to burial soon after it and have eventually gotten into more and more dubstep musicians. i'm finding the genre has that "dark beat intensity" i was looking for from my original post (four years ago tomorrow...yikes!) which in turn has pretty much hooked on the sound.

try these on for size:

breakage
skream
amon tobin
birdy nam nam
dabrye
loess

May 4, 09 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

ether,
if you like Burial and already know about skream have you checked out;
Joker, Zomby, 2562, Benga, Dusk and Blackdown and Scuba just to name a few...
Scuba especially is very underwater in sound/aesthetic.

May 4, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

benga...

skream was in seattle last year. sh*t was siiiick.

kode9? appleblim? peverelist?

May 4, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Holz,
For sure great names.
Wish i lived in East End of London sometimes...
Love peverelist.

May 4, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks guys.
keep em coming.

May 5, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 
STU
www.bijoubreaks.com
May 6, 09 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

I posted a couple of wonky/dubstep et al
dj mixes to my blog

here

May 7, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: