Archinect
anchor

shop drawings?

popeye

a friend asked if i could produce shop drawings for a small project he is the contractor for. it consists of a paper resin countertop and installing some wall panels.
i have experience producing working drawings, but not shop drawings per se. could someone help me understand the distinction between the two and maybe point me to a helpful resource, without making me feel like a fool for asking such a stupid question. : )

thanks

May 4, 05 2:34 pm
el jeffe

YOU FOOL!!!!!

Shop Drawings are nothing more than the instructions necessary to fabricate and/or install the work. Remember how typically in the US, most construction contracts state that the contractor is responsible for the means and methods of construction. Well the shop drawings document that responsibility. So you really need to know the exact material sizes & qualities to be able to produce meaningful documents. If your friend is doing the fabrication and installation, you're really just drafting what he wants anyways so go for it.
BTW, is the 'paper resin countertop' material richlite?

May 4, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Also... you need to take the "design drawings" and relate them to field dimensions to make sure it will fit in place as intended.

May 4, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

doesn't the fabricator/supplier/installer make the shop drawings?

May 4, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
wreckingball

Architects who get into the business of producing shop drawings are opening themselves up to a liability issue, ie-the whole means & methods stated by el jeffe. However, in your case I sure hope you understand the level of detailing and material sensibility required for the job. If not, have your friend give you sketches to produce your drawings from. Most often, the method of dimensioning a shop drawing is different, not just because of the nomenclature used, but you have to dimension based on method fabrication and assembly. Shop drawings are never diagrammatic, as sometimes architecturals are. Are these shop drawings being submitted to the architect for approval?

May 4, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: