Archinect
anchor

3ds MAX / VIZ

wicksmith

how does one make a translucent box, say modeled acrylic, in 3ds max / viz and make it glow from within? (think of trying to render a bright light bulb) so far, my attempts yield a black rendering because the omni light that i have placed inside the translucent box doesn't penatrate the box.

thanks for your help!

May 4, 05 10:31 am
spiderdad

try www.3dcafe.com for tutorials...

May 4, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
popeye

can't you create a material in the material editor that is self-illuminating?

May 4, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
wicksmith

self-illuminating yes...but that (as far as i know) is not as controllable as, say an omni light is. in other words i can't control the brightness, fallout range, or select which surrounding objects that i want to be affected by the light. if there is a way, please let me know...omni's are so rendering-intensive.

May 4, 05 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

you could use a glow effect.

May 4, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
wicksmith

momentum--

could you elaborate?

thanks man.

May 4, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

to cast light on the objects surrounding it, put an omni light in the object. go to the lights properties, and omit shadows and illumination on the object it is in.

May 4, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i can explain the glow effect after i get off work if you want.

May 4, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

otherwise, you should go to the help section and look up how to use effects.

May 4, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
wicksmith

BAM! i knew it was some little stupid setting i was forgetting...i was inlcuding all of the scene's objects for illumination / shadows. i won't be able to try it until i get off work myself, but that sounds right to me. thanks again.

May 4, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: