Archinect
anchor

Undergrad questions...

jimminy

what do you think of Rice for undergrad architecture? I chose it over Cornell, Wash U and Syracuse (for financial reasons at Cornell)

May 3, 05 9:24 am
tzenyujuei

Rice is a excellent school. You should be more than happy with your decision.

May 3, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
jimminy

yup, im looking forward to it, but i just wanted to know if i made the right decision.
im an international student from india, if it makes any difference.

May 3, 05 9:30 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

Well both Rice and Cornell have strong undergraduate programs. I believe both are 5 year programs where you will graduate with a B.Arch which means you can start practicing. If you decide to go on for your masters you will be getting a M.Arch 2 which is a post professional degree. I have friends in the Rice M.Arch program and they all seem to enjoy it alot. Houston and specifically the areas, so i am told, around Rice (museum district?) is very pleasent to live in. I dont think you would have gone wrong either way unless you have a very specific idea about the type of education you are looking for.

May 3, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 
jimminy

anyone else...should i do a BA in Arch or a professional B.Arch degree?

May 3, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I did a BA in Architectural Design and am about to start my Master's in Architecture at the University of Houston-first off-Rice is a great program. I have a friend finishing his 5th year this year, and has loved every minute of it. I would say it is a matter of personal choice as to if you pursue and professional degree in undergrad or wait until masters level. Advantages are the time it would take to be able to legally practice would be shorter by getting a B Arch instead of a BA in Arch. because to practice you'd have to get a professional master's degree. As I approached college, I chose my school primarily because of money. When I was a Senior, I didn't have high enough SAT math scores to get into an Arch program...so I went with a liberal arts college and did arch design. Had I known then that I could have gone to the arch. school I wanted to go to in the first place and apply to get in after a year of math, I probably would have, but I didn't know then that I could have done that. So I spent my time at a liberal arts university and studied Business at a AACSB school, as well as Arch. Design-I applied to grad school and am going to get a master's now. Anyhow, it is taking me longer to get a professional Arch. degree, but a Master's program was something I knew I wanted all along so it was worth it to me. For you, you may want the degree sooner...so Rice is a good choice. My friend who is there now is not going to get a Master's degree in Architecture because he really doesn't need it. Since he went to such a good school and is able to become lisenced, he is very marketable. Therefore, if you choose Rice for a BArch, you too will have a great deal of marketability come time for graduation. Plus, your forth year you do an internship-he went to New York and works for a great firm. If you do well there, you could probably land a job when you are finished-because of Rice's reputation, it will take you places.

Good Luck

May 3, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

what are your stats? just curious. . .i'd love to go to cornell or rice

May 3, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
jimminy

nothing too great i suppose.
SAT 1450, SAT II's- 730, 730, 720
Rank- top 10%
Essays- Pretty good i thought.
Recs- Excellent
Portfolio- Better than most. (ive taken studio art courses for four years at school)

May 3, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

wow that's really good

May 4, 05 1:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: