Archinect
anchor

IDP?: Professional and Community Service options

popeye

I would like to start doing Habitat for Humanity this summer. This is something I enjoy doing and I figure I can take care of my "Professional and Community Service" IDP units doing so.

-Has anyone used Habitat for this?

-Are there any interesting worthwhile alternatives?

May 1, 05 3:05 pm
Cameron

AFH. we can give IDP credit.

May 1, 05 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Popeye> I've been "Site Construction Co-Coordinator" for a Habitat House we're building in Cincinnati for the past three months. I'm learning a lot and am using every single hour for IDP. I'm using them for Prof and Comm Service but I'm also using them for CA - Site units as well, I've probably learned more about building (or how not to build, perhaps) in the past 3 months than in 2 years of school.

If you're anywhere near Cincy in May and want to help out some Saturday, drop me a line, we could seriously use the help.....

Incidentally, Prof and Comm Service hours aren't limited to "architecture" stuff. I registered a bunch of voters last year and got to use that time as well (non-partisan organization).

Cameron, if you want to ship me off somewhere to be "Site Construction Co-Coordinator" for an AFH project, just let me know. :o)

May 1, 05 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

can you speak Arabic, Sinhalese or Indian? We might need a few this summer in South East Asia....

May 1, 05 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

No, I can't. I barely learned French. I'm a stupid American. I suck.

I'm friendly though.

May 1, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
popeye

Hey, thanks for the insight. Pardon my ignorance (I too am a stupid American), but what is AFH?

May 1, 05 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Architecture for Humanity, a non profit founded to seek architectural solutions to humanitarian crises and brings design services to communities in need.

currently we are funding projects in India, Sri Lanka, South Africa and here in the States.... link

May 1, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I know this is of no help to the discussion, but keep in mind that the requirements are pretty lose. My community service hours were time spent judging an 8th grade science fair, acting as counselor for a church youth retreat, and best of all: designing and helping build a parade float for a harvest festival for kids in a small town. Now that was fun public service!

May 2, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I did the exact same thing - HFH. I think it's a great idea. Not only do you get your IDP hours, but your actually learning something about your profession as well. Yeah - what NOT to do.

May 2, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You aren't supposed to be able to use any experience for which you also receive academic credit. (The exception to this is the approximately 6 months worth of units that someone who earns a post-pro M.Arch after a B.Arch is allowed to claim for that 2nd professional degree.)

I did a similar project as a student, and I counted the time that I spent on the project AFTER the semester ended and we were not receiving credit. But at the time I checked with NCARB and was told that I could not count time that had also earned academic credit.

Oct 24, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: