Archinect
anchor

How am I going to pay for school?!

ibrahimdesign

I've decided to attend Parsons for my M. Arch. I.

Other than burying myself in student loans or engaging in a hefty bout of prostitution and drug dealing, does anyone have any suggestions on how to pay for it?

May 1, 05 5:58 am
b3tadine[sutures]

are you good looking? because you might want to consider taking on the debt and after graduating find a sugar momma or sugar daddy willing to bank your ass.

May 1, 05 9:33 am  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

Seriously. You're probably right.

Gotta get to the stairmaster pronto!

May 1, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you will be paying for a long long time. thats how.

May 1, 05 10:03 am  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

Thank you for information that I was already aware of.

May 1, 05 10:06 am  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

· 
ibrahimdesign

· 
rogerc

you might have considered the cost of the school and your ability to pay the tuition before you applied.

May 1, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

i knew what i was getting in in terms of tuition, when i applied.

i'm not sure why the tone on here is one of reprimand. you all sound bitter. i'm simply asking if anyone has any tips or suggestions as to minimizing my dependency on loans.

May 1, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
rogerc

okay, point taken.

look for alternative, non-parsons scholarships for architecture students on the internet, through google. there exist scholarships for students that are aspiring female architects or architects of certain nationalities.

ask your financial aid director at parsons if there is any possible way to receive more grant money--this is unlikely.

be prepared to work at least a part time job outside of schoolwork--either at parsons (library, TA job, woodshop) or elsewhere (real job).

live with a lot of roommates, not in manhattan--save money on rent.

cook breakfast and bring your meals to school--don't eat out or spend money on beer or cigarettes.

work full time in the summers at a coporate firm, even if you don't like the work--you'll have to maximize your salary to help pay for the next year's tuition.

during the school year, apply for the the most prestigious scholarships or grants--it will be competitive, but it's the only way to really get more tuition money from your school.

really, there's few ways around taking out loans. but a strict monitoring of lifestyle can at least help.

May 1, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

I am staying with relatives, to cut out the rent, and was planning on doing exactly what you have recommended.

Did you attend Parsons?

May 1, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Are you right out of undergrad or did you work some? If you worked you can use a 401k or IRA for tuition penalty free - and in some cases tax free (only on Roth - I think).

May 1, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
W_O

hey i know you, imhotep. you teach me things at the met!

May 1, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
lking

i am also going to attend parsons. and i am also going to go into some serious debt (100k). i was offered a meager 5k merit and need-based based scholarship. i spoke to the fin aid office and to David Lewis. both said that there was no hope of increasing the scholarship in future years (it's set). even the need-based aid is based on merit. and david lewis said that there aren't really any ta positions. occasionally profs will need help with something and they'll hire students, but not as ta's. after begging to a fin aid officer, they gave me a federal perkins loan and work study, which is a small step in the right direction.

i was ok with the potential debt until i met a student at the open house who was offered a full ride to attend parsons. she said that she had gotten into every school that she applied to and she like parsons, but upenn was going to let her get the degree in 2 years and with scholarship. so she was probably going to turn down all of that money that parsons offered.

personally, right now i live in the lower east side with my boyfriend (15 blocks from parson), but i'm planning on moving to either harlem or the bronx just to save money on rent. i am already on a tight budget, i never eat out and rarely enjoy the great area that i live in. so i'm not sure how i could possibly save any more money before school starts.

for next year i plan on applying for every outside scholarship that i can find (i didn't apply for any architecture scholarships this year since i do not have an arch background and i didn't qualify). but if you are a ny state resident there is the TAP award, which is small. i didn't qualify b/c they said i made too much money last year, yeah right. and there is the ny regents professional opportunity scholarship, which is for prof degree programs (including architecture) and that award is up to $5,000 a year. but be quick, i think the deadline is may 1st (today).

good luck and i'll see you in the fall!

May 1, 05 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Part time bartending or waitressing job at a decently busy place. In NYC, that is really the best way to make a lot of money in very few hours of work and take time off when you're really busy... unless you have a base of clients that pay high hourly freelance rates. It may not be directly applicable to an architecture career, but it's low stress and generally flexible schedule-wise, and good money. While you are in school, those things can be more important.

May 1, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

If you're not shy about getting naked you can be a life drawing model at any of the other various art schools around (but I don't think you're usually allowed to model at your own school.)
If your standardized test scores are 90th percentile or better you can teach test prep classes for any of the big test prep operations - it's usually an evening job and pays well.
I knew a couple students in NYC who were professional ice skaters and would get work with whatever ice shows were running, though I suppose that's somewhat seasonal. I knew someone else who worked as a singer for commercial jingles and such, and some guys who played music in the subway, and someone who made pretty good money specializing in photographing architectural models. Do you have some talent in something like that? If so NYC is the place to capitalize on it.

Don't count on TA jobs or work study at Parsons. Most workstudy jobs there are at or near minimum wage unless they require someone highly skilled - in which case you might be better taking your skills and looking for higher pay elsewhere. There arevery few TA positions at all as the university as a whole doesn't really have a structure that uses TAs. The few positions that exist are only for undergrad architecture courses and they don't pay particularly well. Budget issues can also mean that you're promised a TA position in the spring, but when you come back in the fall the position has been eliminated.

May 1, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

I figured that waiting tables or bartending would be the best gig and would least interfere with my school schedule.

I'm not sure what to say regarding the scholarships and financial aid; either there must be some arcane but meticulous standard by which they dole out the awards, or the entire process is a total crapshoot.

Either way, one has to bite the bullet. I hope Parsons is worth every penny.

May 1, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

Like it's hard to figure out who W_O is, B-worth.

May 1, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
W_O

likewise, oh pharaoh ;) love yer.

May 1, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I went to Parsons and think it was great. BUT I also got through without loans. I honestly don't know if it's worth the loans. Supposedly the BFA arch program is highly reputable for getting into top grad schools. The MArch is so new that it isn't too well known yet. You do get a lot of good professors and NYC resources.. but also really limited studio space and facilities plus the sheer cost of NYC living.

WorkStudy at Parsons could be OK.. especially if you got a job at the print center in the UCC so you can make yourself many large free color plot prints. Also good to work in the financial aid office so you know about the possibilities before anyone else and possibly get the people who work there to loooveeee you. I don't know if this is available to grad students, but I know a few people who were RAs in the dorms and got free housing.. RAs get private rooms too.

Hm.. so I was totally a ghetto entrepreneur. haha.

In addition to my bar job (never bartended or waitressed, I sell tickets to see bands at a music venue/bar/restaurant) and the freelance illustration & design, there was:

--Modeling. I stuck to paid jobs. I'm pretty short, but managed to find regular work in hair trade shows/magazines, makeup, fine art, fit modeling, and some catalog/print. Had many offers for fetish modeling or burlesque dancing (because I'm pale & have dark hair? i don't know?) but I never could bring myself to do it. That pays well and has little to do with how attractive you are.. I was just about to say that the only apparent requirements for fetish modeling are that you can't be morbidly obese or have bad acne, but I can think of several financially successful exceptions to both. Even if you don't get paid & just do hair modeling for free or cheap haircuts at good salons you can save some $.

--helping people write resumes

--styling photo shoots

--shooting photos. events & live bands mainly.

--DJ-ing & "hosting" various parties. Oh, the joy of partying and getting paid to do it with a percentage of the night's liquour sales.

--set up a stand.. made tiny sketches of people and turned the sketches into 1" buttons with my button machine (a great investment.. whenever you need an extra $50-200, just tell people you have a button machine!)

--i'm not a 100% teetotaler, but limit consumption to maybe 3-4 alcoholic drinks a month. Absolutely NO drugs. No smoking. It always amazes me how much money people blow on... blow, and booze, and cigarettes.

May 1, 05 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
raji

oh please give me a break. you are so great, everybody loves you!

May 1, 05 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
rogerc

the word kielbasa should be outlawed from the english language.

May 1, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

hello parsons folks...i too will be attending for march... I think that everyone's best bet would be to get an assistantship...which unfortunately can't be done until your second year. but the good think about that is that it would cut down on tuition.and since parsons is apart of the newschool you wouldnt necessarily be teaching arch students but somewhere else

May 1, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
lking

Susan Surface, how long ago did you attend parsons?

it seems to be very ingenuous of you to get thru the BFA program without loans, but parsons is a lot more generous with the undergrad students as far as fin aid is concerned.

May 1, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
surface

graduated in 2004.

May 2, 05 1:03 am  · 
 · 
surface

Don't underestimate pestering the financial aid office if they screw you.

They "lost" my FAFSA freshman year. I caught them in their mistake Freshman year b/c all of the other schools I applied to got my FAFSA and made awards with their offers of acceptance, but when I called Parsons to ask why I received no aid they said they didn't have my application and I was ineligible since it was past deadline. After we pestered them, got angry, & told them about the other schools - they found my application somewhere, somehow, in their office. I was awarded a combination of decent merit scholarships (which I accepted) & loans (which I did not accept). Every year after that, the merit scholarships were renewed.

Disorganized, erratic administration is typical of the New School and almost everyone has to deal with it eventually. The staff all want to help the students but they are too busy, so if you don't get what you need you need to be very unashamedly insistent with them.

May 2, 05 1:15 am  · 
 · 
dmc

been in the same spot... i just brought myself to turn down gsd, risd, and penn for the same reason. saying no to risd really really hurt, i so wanted the artsy community and the fine arts facilities... sigh. but seriously, none of the schools above was able to tell me wholeheartedly that their school is worth that much money, and i didn't want to trap myself into a big chain of debt and interest. i like to think that i'll have better things to do in life than working my ass for 10+ years to pay my way through overpriced schools.

if you ask me, state school's the way to go. good luck though, i hope your experience is gonna be worth the price!

PS: my sculpture professor had the same suggestion as betadinesutures. seems like finding a sugar daddy is the way to go :)

May 2, 05 1:52 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

I donno....GSD is taking care of half...so I recieved some modest outside scholarship and in the end I have to pick up about 18 a year for 3.5 years. I'll make that back in no time...and by the way...do you know how much a professor (part time or full) makes in one year at a state school?...it will blow your mind.

May 2, 05 10:36 am  · 
 · 
dmc

dude, that's great. i'm international, so i got the big zero from them, hence the big no.

May 2, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

even so...any investment in your education is by definition a good investment and worth the money...and the top schools pay for themselves. I turned down Columbia over GSD....and I would have had to take out a larger loan for C...but in the end it would be hardly noticeable in my monthly payment plan extended over a 15-20 period. Right now you might not have enough income to pay for it all....and maybe even later in life...but I think people forget to take into account spouse support. It’s not like you have to pay for it all your self…your future wife or husband will paying off their own debt…your in it together.
(and I did not turn down Columbia for the price tag)

and a public education you will still have to take out loans...so instead of a 13 year debt you have a 7 year debt...either way it's still a pain in the ass.

May 2, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
lking

dmc, did that leave you with any school options or are you post-poning pursuing the m.arch?

i am trying to think of my education as an investment and that it will be worth it in the long run. so instead of financing a car or buying some new big toy, i'll have to concentrate on my school loans for a few years.

May 2, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

postponing til next year. i want to explore the nyc or san fran art scene for a little while.

i thought of school as an investment too, and in the end i didn't think investing that much into 3 years was smart. usually, smaller investments tend to have bigger returns. poverty is not fun, and repaying 100k+ in loans will keep you there for a while, at least for the first few years.

as for spouse support, it's kind of hard to base a decision on that when marriage is the last thing in my mind. also, the big names usually get you better jobs at better firms, but not necessarily better pay. the top schools don't pay for themselves, you'll have to pay for every single cent of it.

it's a personal choice everyone has to make, but i simply refuse to get into the huge debt chain at this age. i'd rather reapply to princeton until i get in, or to state schools until i get a ta'ship that covers tuition. but that's just me.

May 2, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

dmc, i agree with you, i think that sadly higher education in the states has become a privelege, not a right.

in my opinion, if your parents don't pay tuition+living, or if you don't get close to a full ride for one of the uber-schools, i don't think it is worth the debt. if your goal is to make ground-breaking work, will studying &/or working with one of the geniuses make you, in turn, a genius? If you look at the odds, I suspect they are against that..

i went to state school for undergrad, did internships & had a very successful career. I just applied a little jutszpah. the jutspah was cheaper than 100K debt...

my 2 cents (soon to be hypothetically appropriated by federal school loan officers)

May 3, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

re: paying off loans, one of my law school friends thought about + researched paying off debt by selling her eggs.

yikes.

May 3, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

yes, but if your interested in teaching along with an independent practice you can do quite quite well. A full time professor at a state school can make close to $95,000 or more. A part time can make anywhere from $45-75 and that's just for a regular state school. Top public and Ivy professors are making over $100...something is wrong with this profession....discuss.

http://chronicle.com/stats/aaup/2002/

May 3, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 
lking

anotherquestion, how much did your friend get for her eggs?

May 3, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

you get around 5,000 in the Chicago area...and about 10,000 in the NY area.

May 3, 05 10:55 am  · 
 · 
lking

wow...sounds like a good deal for doing absolutely nothing

May 3, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

they shoot you full of hormones for a couple months in various areas around your stomach, legs and inner thigh....you are also bloated and "full" with eggs...somewhere between 10-20. It's very uncomfortable so I heard through two friends who did it.

May 3, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

but your "good deal" disturbs me for various reasons...however I am not against egg donation.

May 3, 05 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

yup, 10-15K in NY. depends on desirable traits like blonde, blue-eyed, high IQ, etc. the friend didn't do it. she got a sugar daddy.

btw, you can only donate 3-4 times, because of health risks. the times magazine did an article on it a few years ago.

May 3, 05 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

teaching in schools and making kids do your research seems like the best way to be successful in the US (and most other places too). Sadly

May 4, 05 12:38 am  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

I'm not sure I agree with "it's not worth it to aquire such debt."

Although repaying loans will definitely suck, debt because of education is almost always worth it. Most of us here haven't been born with a silver spoon in our mouths, but we have a sincere interest and passion for architecture and interior design.

I'm attending Parsons, but will be living with my parents and commuting from Queens. I also plan on working at a bar or restaurant in the evenings/weekends to help relieve some of the day-to-day expenses.

I also do not intend to stay in NYC after graduation. I'm looking to Berlin or Los Angeles, where you're a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and the cost of living in considerably less.

Finally (and I know this is a VERY macabre thought) I cannot discount in the back of my mind that my parents may leave some inheritance when they pass. I'm not hoping for them to have a speedy departure, but whenever I am hesitant about the debt I'm going to accrue, this tends to mitigate my worst fears.

May 6, 05 3:30 am  · 
 · 
dmc

so if i got this right, your worst fears are related to your debt rather than your parents' imminent death....? hmmm......very macabre thought indeed.

May 6, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
ibrahimdesign

I knew this would be misinterpreted by some holier-than-thou twit.

I don't "fear" my parents imminent death. I don't dwell on it, and I don't hope for it--in fact, I try not to think of it at all. But it exists as a constant (as does the mortality of everyone, including myself).

When thinking about the future, a life without my parents is something that cannot be ignored. I considered all aspects. As "disgraceful" as that seems to you, it is one aspect of an inevitable and devastating occurance that does have a positive aspect.

May 6, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: