Archinect
anchor

Math

rotwang

Hi I am planning on applying to an B.Arch program next year and I am just wondering how much math is involved in the more technical aspects of design in classes. I ask because I'm not the greatest at math but I would say my strengths are in design and the other arts, which I would say is what matters. My first choice is Sci Arc and from what I've heard with my background I would fit in better here.

I am asking because I have freinds advising me that I should re think my descion to study archictuture being that I am horrible at math.

I am just wondering if I am going to have major problems because my math skills aren't great ?

Will a calculator be my best friend? I understand that there is a fair amount of mathmatics involed but will my good design skills save me?

anybody else out there been in the same position?

Apr 29, 05 5:55 pm
R.A. Rudolph

Not much math involved, other than in structures. Basic algebra. It will help if you can learn the formulas and apply them, but it's more important to understand the prinicples. If Marty Paul is still teaching structures at sci-arc he's great.
There's very little emphasis there on precision, detailing or structural design, so as long as you work to understand why structures work and use common sense you won't need a calculator.

Apr 29, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

same approach at my school. you should know basic math but calculus is no longer on the curriculum in most places. Better to understand the way forces move through a building than to know how to calculate the size of every structural member in it. Being able to do the latter doesn't hurt but most ofices hire an engineer to do that for them anyway.

Even Toyo Ito, who could stamp his own engineering drawings if he wanted to (in Japan all architects are engineers by definition) hires an engineer to make his ideas reality.

Apr 29, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

ditto on what everyone else has said... there is a reason those structural engineers make so much money... I think for many of us we chose architecture because of the philosophical and metaphysical aspects of the profession not because of the mathematical aspects (although I am sure some like the precision). Architecture, at least for me, is approached the same way as one would approach a piece of art or music... you search for its relation to the world, to the subjects, and to youself. When you look at a building you see space, form, and perhaps meaning... not many people see a series of answers to a complicated structural algorythm.

Apr 30, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
norm

simply stated math is left brain, art is right brain.
to excel in architecture you really must be able to utilize both.
this does not mean you have to be a math whiz. but you do have to be able to fire up the left lobe on a regular basis. maybe not for engineering, but certainly for the things they don't teach you about in architecture school - schedules, budgets, codes, and on and on and on.

re: ra rudolphs comment - i took structures with marty paul at ucla and he is definitely a great teacher.

Apr 30, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Bula

I second jumps comments.

If the school you select has a structures class, take it to strengthen your weaknesses (embrace the challenge!). Someday you will need to learn how solve for forces with some basic algebra/ trig. if you choose to take the ARE (to become a registered architect). Otherwise, a simple understanding of math/ basic-algebra is usually sufficient enough for day to day life (through school and in the office).

Apr 30, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Even though you don't really use math THAT much in architecture practice, I did have to take basic calculus and physics for engineers, as well as structures classes (which was not that big of a deal).

Apr 30, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

LED lighting

Apr 30, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

heh, false post.

Apr 30, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: